Minimal Audio releases first Synth "Current" (NO DEAL)

Solidos

Synths are a dime a dozen.  It's that shiny and new thing everyone goes for and claim it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Sire some are great for making strange sounds but most of your EDM producers stick with Sylenth, Spire, and Serum.

I guess if you want unique ones go learn Reaktor or Max4Live or even Kontakt. 

6 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Well, that was quick.

"That's pretty much it...subscription dead." 

I called it (see my earlier post predicting that this developer would fail at subscriptions and soon announce that they were dropping it). The only thing I couldn't accurately predict was how long it would take (I'd guessed probably a lot shorter than 3 months; I believe I originally guessed Waves would take as long as one month to retreat on subscription only shortly after they announced they were going subscription only).  Considering they have a full-time "strategy executive" at this dozen person sized small business, it is pretty ironic, as this does not reflect a company that is even marginally good at strategy and execution of strategy; it reflects a company that doesn't properly research and think through strategy prior to execution to so quickly do a 180, backing out of a strategy they just rolled out. It's just not a formula for running a successful business operation. 

To those quick to compare Minimal Audio to Waves, I'd say, don't do it. Waves execution of their change to subscription-only was on products for which they had long been selling using perpetual licenses. It was done "in the night" and felt underhanded to customers, like trickery. Minimal has been shooting straight with customers, there was nothing deceptive or ethically problematic in the way they introduced and rolled out their subscription service that I have observed. They just made an ill-advised strategy decision regarding pricing. And you can't blame a developer for wanting a steady, consistent income stream, as subscription sales provide. So, I think this is a very positive outcome for consumers and I don't think anyone should be penalizing Minimal Audio for making a mistake.  In fact, I like them a lot after this video. I think doing the video was a good idea that will likely resonate with many customers and prospective customers. 

If you like Minimal Audio products, but you didn't like the idea of them going to a subscription model, I think you should still continue to buy from them, to support what appears to be a pretty good developer. I have at least one of their libraries, maybe two (okay, yeah, I have way too many libraries) and like it. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

• Solidos changed the title to Minimal Audio releases first Synth "Current" (NO DEAL)
2 hours ago, Carlos Iglesias said:

Where has this guy been? Hasn't he heard about Waves? At Area 51?

Jack and team were naive, thinking to get quickly monthly budget money, pretty sure they knew about Waves fiasco but they just tried in case they will go away with it

those people are good at what they do in terms of making vst and sounds, however have no clue about marketing, managing and pricing in business.

running business is not 1 way option, if you do not understand some parts of it you need to hire someone who does and make some research first, simple.

still if you pay $200 for just simple wavetable synth without effects which you can buy additionaly for $49each it may come to expensive way comparing other competitors at the market,  so people will think twice for sure especially those producers on budget.

Edited by Vst0nE

9 minutes ago, Vst0nE said:

still if you pay $200 for just simple wavetable synth without effects which you can buy additionaly for $49each it may come to expensive way comparing other competitors at the market,  so people will think twice for sure especially those producers on budget.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but as far as I see it those effects are integrated. You don't have to buy the standalone versions of the effects to have them in "Current".

16 minutes ago, Solidos said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but as far as I see it those effects are integrated. You don't have to buy the standalone versions of the effects to have them in "Current".

see below: does not look like it, seems all will be charged separately, presets will need wavetables and effect racks to work as intended so it will force you to buy additional content, also keep in mind they do not do license transfers i think.

1. Perpetual Product Options

Purchase any product or content pack individually.

- Current instrument with basic content ($200)

- Individual Current preset & wavetable packs (price TBD, but these will be available at a reasonable cost)

- Individual Current effect rack plugins will continue with the $49 per effect

- Sound packs can be purchased individually as they are on our website

2. "All Access" Rent-To-Own:

A monthly or yearly payment with everything we have to offer.

The full integrated vision. Customers will receive credit equal to their subscription spending after a year of payment, which can be used to purchase any perpetual products of their choosing. All content will have a perpetual option, including the content packs. Rent-To-Own Plans: $15 / month $120 / year Includes:

- Current instrument (synth engine and effect rack)

- Current Stream access with unlimited downloads -

-All individual Current effects as standalone plugins

- Everything that we add to Current

Edited by Vst0nE
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vst0nE said:

see below: does not look like it, seems all will be charged separately, presets will need wavetables and effect racks to work as intended so it will force you to buy additional content i think, but time will tell

I agree, and if I'm looking at something to buy and I have to think "time will tell", then I'm not interested. Seems like adding all the things you may want would be very expensive. Synth = $200,  8 current effects @ $49 each = $400, already $600 -  and that doesn't include wavetables, sound packs or cloud access.

I think they are way outside of what most people would consider (just my thoughts). So not sure they really did themselves any favors with this new pricing.

• Like 1

I would assume these prices are taking into account substantial periodical sales

Vital end up being a disruptive event when it comes to the value that people are willing to pay for these synths nowadays, and i think this perception has changed forever

Thanks for clarifying that @Vst0nE

That makes this synth only viable to me if I ever somehow end up having all the effects (through sales, Bitwig Circle, etc.) before buying "Current".

Kilohearts' Phase Plant is at the top of my wishlist and I don't think I'll ever need Current at that point anyways.