Ripple (Grateful Dead Cover)

Ross Smithe

I've wanted to cover this Grateful Dead tune for some time. Composed in 1970, the wonderful, timeless lyrics were penned by Robert Hunter, with music by Jerry Garcia. A bit of a departure from the band's early psychedelic music, it really hearkens back to Garcia's early roots in folk music. I tried to preserve the intimate character of the original song, while putting a bit of a different rhythmic vibe to it.

• Like 6

Never got into the Dead for some reason....listened to the original for first time before listening to your version....original blew me away, then, listened to your version which also blew me away....your work on the song is excellent. Playing, vox, mix all hit the right notes🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 9:49 PM, Larry T. said:

Never got into the Dead for some reason....listened to the original for first time before listening to your version....original blew me away, then, listened to your version which also blew me away....your work on the song is excellent. Playing, vox, mix all hit the right notes🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks Larry!

On 10/14/2023 at 7:48 PM, Old Joad said:

I'm a big Grateful Dead fan, you did an awesome job with this song🤘

Grateful_Dead_-_American_Beauty.jpg

Thanks for the kind comment. Glad it represented well, I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't! I didn't want to try to reproduce the original, since that we clearly be impossible. Instead, tried to preserve it's original character and dignity, while putting my own vibe to it. Glad it came across well, really means a lot coming from a true Deadhead!

On 10/19/2023 at 12:09 PM, Bajan Blue said:

Not heard the original and if you hadn't said anything, I would never have guessed the original was by The Grateful dead!!

Excellent stuff and really enjoyed the listen

Cheers

Nigel

Hey Nigel, thanks a lot! Always appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment on my music.

On 10/24/2023 at 11:51 AM, steve@baselines.com said:

Haven't heard this one in a good long while.  Everything is beautiful here from the vocal to the synth coming in, to the mandolin.  You truly captured the meaning of the original for sure.  Nice work!

Steve

Hey Steve, thanks so much for the listen and for the kind comments. Really means a lot!