Orb Plugins Orb Composer Pro S 1.5 Sale (Exclusive) for $39

cclarry

That's interesting, but isn't that an old version of the program? I've been using Orb Producer 3 for over a year now, I think. They don't seem to sell Composer on their website anymore either. Is Composer a completely different program than Producer, and is there any benefit to having both?

It seems to be a bit of a mess. This KVR thread from early 2020 picked up more info as Composer was removed (and returned, without the ability to buy?) from the company's website:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540874

From around the same time, a post by a user with experience with both says a few posts into a thread here that "(Orb Producer is) not really like Orb Composer at all except in the MIDI generation nature":

And another extended discussion on the topic on VI-Control, I think from the same person who reviewed Composer Pro S 1.5 to start the KVR thread above:

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/orb-composer-pro-s-1-5-a-i-composing-software-review.86092/

In summary (of my impression from what I've read): the reviews by users don't seem great, Composer and Producer seem to definitely be different and at least some of the threads wind up with people suggesting other tools for similar jobs. YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zolton said:

It seems to be a bit of a mess. This KVR thread from early 2020 picked up more info as Composer was removed (and returned, without the ability to buy?) from the company's website:

[...]

In summary (of my impression from what I've read): the reviews by users don't seem great, Composer and Producer seem to definitely be different and at least some of the threads wind up with people suggesting other tools for similar jobs. YMMV.

I appreciate your reply.

I like Orb Producer. It's far from perfect and they've not released a single update since it was first released, which is disappointing. As you've noted, their website leaves much to be desired.

I really wish there was something between things like Orb Producer and its competitors and the AI where it tries to do literally everything for you. I want stable diffusion but for midi. "Write an ostinato for staccato strings in 4/4 time in F# minor." Someday maybe.

• Like 1

Orb Composer was overpriced and abandoned by Hexachords (developer).  I have seen forum mentions that they are working on bringing it back.  The Orb Producer series are much more usable, and based on the Orb Composer code, I am sure.  They don't try to be orchestral tools like "Composer" was marketed to be.  The key caution I would give regarding Hexachords or "Orb Software", or whatever their moniker- If you purchase their product(s), do NOT ever expect any kind of updates or bug fixes.  Maybe you will get them, but maybe you won't.  After running a BF/Christmas "blowout" on Composer, they deleted their Discord "support" (marketing) channel and disappeared until they released the Producer series.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Orb Composer was overpriced and abandoned by Hexachords (developer).  I have seen forum mentions that they are working on bringing it back.  The Orb Producer series are much more usable, and based on the Orb Composer code, I am sure.  They don't try to be orchestral tools like "Composer" was marketed to be.  The key caution I would give regarding Hexachords or "Orb Software", or whatever their moniker- If you purchase their product(s), do NOT ever expect any kind of updates or bug fixes.  Maybe you will get them, but maybe you won't.  After running a BF/Christmas "blowout" on Composer, they deleted their Discord "support" (marketing) channel and disappeared until they released the Producer series.

That's too bad. It's unfortunate behavior from an otherwise well-respected company.

I find it odd that Plugin Boutique is running regular sales and promotions on the Orb Composer product despite it being essentially abandoned by Hexachords.

• Like 1

Back in 2020, I was evaluating buying Orb Composer and I was confused as well, so I asked if it had been discontinued. This was their response

Hello, no, we have decided to sell it only on pluginboutique.

Try Orb Producer, it’s our brand new product 🙂

Best regards,

Jean-Michel Langé
Sales and Marketing manager