Cannot hear guitar cab IRs while playing/recording (only playback)

Brian Johnston

As the title indicates, I can record direct to Cakewalk and I can hear the cab (effect) upon playback, but cannot while playing and recording. I've tried more than one IR loader (which tells me I'm not clicking on a button or something); currently using the STL Ignite NAD IR. Loads the IRs no problem; you hear it on playback after recording. What am I missing?  Thank you.

1 minute ago, Brian Johnston said:

As the title indicates, I can record direct to Cakewalk and I can hear the cab (effect) upon playback, but cannot while playing and recording. I've tried more than one IR loader (which tells me I'm not clicking on a button or something); currently using the STL Ignite NAD IR. Loads the IRs no problem; you hear it on playback after recording. What am I missing?  Thank you.

Input echo on?

• Like 1

Definitely check your routing. If it doesn't work with Input Echo enabled (and the track armed), you are probably hearing the audio from your audio interface rather than the DAW when tracking as @rsinger just mentioned. Try arming with input echo on and tweak that till you hear the cab "live."

21 hours ago, rsinger said:

Does your IF have direct monitor? If so, make sure it is off.

Not sure what IF stands for. Anything I put in and through my interface I can hear. But it's the effects I cannot hear (even if I add a Cakewalk delay... you hear it on playback, but not while playing).

21 hours ago, mettelus said:

Definitely check your routing. If it doesn't work with Input Echo enabled (and the track armed), you are probably hearing the audio from your audio interface rather than the DAW when tracking as @rsinger just mentioned. Try arming with input echo on and tweak that till you hear the cab "live."

Not sure how to tweak Input Echo... it does on... or off. No change either way.

Dear Brian,

are you using a Presonus 24C? If yes, look at the front panel of your audio card and turn the MIXER knob totally to the right (it says Playback).

Now you won't be able to hear your guitar while you are playing - that's ok.

Now create an empty project in Cakewalk Bandlab and insert 1 audio track.

If you arm the track (engaging the red "record" button) you will see the vu-meter working while you play, but still you will not hear anything (it's ok).

Finally, close to the record button you will find the Input Echo button. Engage it and now you will hear your guitar with a little latency.

You can now insert all the FX you want and everything should work.

Bye,

Giorgio

Edited by Giorgio Gabriel
  • Like 3