How to record multi voices on one track.

Good day,

I hope someone can help;

I'm using Silka choir in my project. Problem is I don't know how to record 2 phrases ( eg. aa and oh) on one track. When  play it back it only plays one phrase.

Is there a way to record multi phrases on one track instead of multi tracks with one phrase on each?

Please help.

Kind regards.

Bertus.

8 hours ago, bertus weyers said:

I'm using Silka choir in my project. Problem is I don't know how to record 2 phrases ( eg. aa and oh) on one track.

I don't know this library, but would expect "Ah" and "Oh" to be two different instruments/patches that need separate instrument tracks using two channels of Kontakt, Or possibly they use key-switched "articulations".  Check the documentation.

11 hours ago, David Baay said:

I don't know this library, but would expect "Ah" and "Oh" to be two different instruments/patches that need separate instrument tracks using two channels of Kontakt, Or possibly they use key-switched "articulations".  Check the documentation.

Thanks for the reply. They do use keyswitches but even then in Cakewalk it only plays the last phrase used. And I've looked through the documentation of CbB but don't find an answer there. Hence my query on this forum, maybe someone used another Kontakt library that had the same problem?

Are you talking a single MIDI track or a single audio track here?

I cannot think of a VSTi that can fire off multiple articulations in a single instance simultaneously (the articulation is a key switch that drives every note played after it), so the only idea that comes to mind is to load two instances inside Kontakt (one for each articulation used) as David mentioned above. Internal to Kontakt, you can play with routing (and may achieve your goal that way); but "visually" it can get insanely confusing to try to do everything from one track and understand what is going on. You have access to unlimited tracks, which also gives you better control over mixing them later on (example would be if you want to pan the oohs right, but the aahs left when mixing, adjust levels separately, etc.).

• Like 1

I am almost totally unfamiliar with Kontakt and the Silka Choir plug-in.  I thought Kontakt was a multi-timbral instrument.  If so and if you are triggering audio samples in the plug-in via MIDI note triggers, could you have different presets/patches assigned to different MIDI channels? 

Edited by User 905133

7 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

... If so and if you are triggering audio samples in the plug-in via MIDI note triggers, could you have different presets/patches assigned to different MIDI channels? ...

yes, you could have a bunch of instruments all responding on the same or different MIDI channels as well as outputs - separate or combined.  even multiples of a single instrument.

image.png.3052ea48aa75a19d75567f7b33125f88.png

• Like 2

On 10/7/2023 at 11:39 AM, bertus weyers said:

Silka.png

The problem I'm having is this:

If I play these articulations on my keyboard I can change it mid song to the next articulation without a problem. But as soon as I want to record it only records the last articulation played.

So, if I want to make  a song with say 8 articulations, I have to open 8 midi channels and record each one separately? What happens then to fluency of the song? Plus, it takes up a lot of real estate on my laptop (Not ideal, but it's what I have) and places a big burden on my RAM & CPU.

If you can change the tempo midway through a song with bandlab why can it not be done with libraries/ articulations? I mean, most of the vsts and libraries available today have multi switching and articulations and does everyone using it create separate tracks for each articulation?

1 hour ago, bertus weyers said:

The problem I'm having is this:

If I play these articulations on my keyboard I can change it mid song to the next articulation without a problem. But as soon as I want to record it only records the last articulation played.

So, if I want to make  a song with say 8 articulations, I have to open 8 midi channels and record each one separately? What happens then to fluency of the song? Plus, it takes up a lot of real estate on my laptop (Not ideal, but it's what I have) and places a big burden on my RAM & CPU.

If you can change the tempo midway through a song with bandlab why can it not be done with libraries/ articulations? I mean, most of the vsts and libraries available today have multi switching and articulations and does everyone using it create separate tracks for each articulation?

I've found MY mistake:
I forgot to change the articulation back to the starting point after recording. 
Going back to my project I realized it. Now it works perfectly.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, much appreciated

Silly mistake!!!😊

• Like 2