Track split and crossfade default changes in 2023.09 (Solved)...

dantarbill

I'm not sure if some default settings got changed with the 2023.09 update, but I'm seeing new and unwanted behavior...

When I split a track (with "S"), typically the left side of the split is selected.  So, if I subsequently hit "K" to mute the selected track portion, it mutes to the left.  Now, it seems that neither is selected, so you have to explicitly select one side or the other.

Also, the default crossfade (Options/Crossfade Type>Default Fade-In/Out Curve settings seem to now be completely ignored.

What happened and how do I fix it?

(I just checked Preferencess/Customization/Editing/Clips Selection after single split:.  It's set to "Left Portion (default)".  This strongly suggests that something in 2023.09 got broke or regressed.)

Edited by dantarbill
Marked solved

3 hours ago, dantarbill said:

Now, it seems that neither is selected, so you have to explicitly select one side or the other.

I just checked and this behavior existed as far back as 26.05.0.039 {2020/11} on my systems, so not new in this version. [anyone else confirm?]

3 hours ago, dantarbill said:

Also, the default crossfade (Options/Crossfade Type>Default Fade-In/Out Curve settings seem to now be completely ignored.

On my system, this is saved in the project template, [not globally]  and recovers correctly, depending on the template loaded and the preset fade type.

Edited by OutrageProductions

1 hour ago, OutrageProductions said:

I just checked and this behavior existed as far back as 26.05.0.039 {2020/11} on my systems, so not new in this version. [anyone else confirm?]

Here it works as ever in version 2022.11 (build 21), i.e. if I select a clip and split it, then the left portion is being selected!

My settings: Auto Crossfade = off and Crossfade Types = Linear

On 9/25/2023 at 4:59 AM, msmcleod said:

It's a config setting:

image.png.df0d3bcbe3fe2c0c0f73e4fb4b349977.png

What I'm saying is that the config setting is getting ignored by 2023.09.  On my system, there's currently no way to change the default behavior of Split or the Crossfade behavior.

Edited by dantarbill

On 9/25/2023 at 8:54 AM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Ctrl + S for Split?

That's always been used for File Save on every single piece of software I own

Split, for me, has always just been S

Or right click your clip and select Split for more options

Sorry...you're right.  It's just S for Split and K for clip mute.

• Like 1

I've checked and rechecked...

Any settings I make in "Selection after single split:" do NOT change the default behavior.  It always acts as if I have "None" selected as the default behavior.

Same is (was) true for the "Default Fade-In Curve>" and "Default Fade-Out Curve>".

Ah HA!!

I found it!

The problem was that I had "Auto Crossfade" selected.  That caused what I'll consider unintuitive behavior where it applied the Crossfade defaults when I split.

I'm not sure if I had changed the "Auto Crossfade" selection or that behavior had changed with the new update...but I'm back in business.

Edited by dantarbill
More detail
  • Like 1

• dantarbill changed the title to Track split and crossfade default changes in 2023.09 (Solved)...