Bug?: CW hangs when drawing tempo [SOLVED]

Andres Medina

Hello,

I didn't come across this possible bug on latest version before, so I post this one now, that is reproducible:

CW hangs when drawing tempo in this scenario:

• Record midi data
  • Open Tempo View
  • Hit PLAY
  • Draw tempo using the LINE Tool while CW is playing
  • CW hangs - there is not a crash dump, even if I set ExceptionHandlingSeverity at 7

Thanks!

Edited by Andres Medina

I can't immediately reproduce that here (tried only the freehand tool so far). Where are you drawing relative to the Now cursor, with what snap resolution, if any, and what range of values and starting point relative to the existing tempo at that point? I tried after the cursor, before the cursor, and across the cursor, drawing different ranges and directions. Does it happen with just a single MIDI trck driving a soft synth? Or is it maybe going to a hardware port which might make a difference?

Also, does 'hang' mean a 'white screen'? If so, you can generate a crash dump by right-clicking on the process in Task Manager.

EDIT: Tried with all tracks going to hardware MIDI OUTS, but that didn't matter either.

Edited by David Baay

27 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Where are you drawing relative to the Now cursor

Randomly before and after the cursor

with what snap resolution

Both with and without Snap (with Snap it would be to Measure)

what range of values and starting point relative to the existing tempo at that point?

Random, but usually within normal range (+/- 10 bmp)

Does it happen with just a single MIDI trck driving a soft synth?

I thought so: I already tried it without any VST, just pure midi data on one midi track. Still hangs.

Also, does 'hang' mean a 'white screen'?

No, CW just keeps playing (I hear the metronome), but is unresposive and has to be ended in task manager.

If so, you can generate a crash dump by right-clicking on the process in Task Manager.

I will -

Note: noticed that when drawing with the line tool, CW jumps to the end of the drawn line. In freehand the now time goes randomly toward the center of the drawn lines.

Edited by Andres Medina

Yes, it seems that it's something in my system... not reproducible in other systems.

• Scan my RAM means...? (sorry, not familiar with that).

I'm thinking about something wrong with my audio card. I'll try reinstalling the drivers and checking the physical connections.

Thanks for your input -

Edited by Andres Medina

I Think it's solved, and as many pointed out, apparently it was system specific to my PC.

It seems to be that an update of the graphic driver went wrong: windows update made a regression to their generic drive, and that one seems to be faulty.

I was unable to reinstall the driver, windows won't let it happen, so I contacted AMD support and they suggested to make a clean install of their driver, using their own software. 

The driver was successfully installed then, and CW is no longer hanging when drawing tempo in the tempo view, at least by now. Hope it keeps stable.

Thank you all for your help!!

• Like 3

• Andres Medina changed the title to Bug?: CW hangs when drawing tempo [SOLVED]