Possible VocalSync audio export distortion or glitch problem

Sven

I don't use VocalSync that often but I recently exported a vocal clip for Melodyne tuning and the .wav file created seems to have some kind of distortion/glitches that I don't hear in original Cakewalk project.  If I export the same clip after removing VocalSync from the clip it seems to sound okay.  

There are several vocal tracks I'm exporting and this is the only one using VocalSync.  The others sound fine and there's no unusual volume issues or efx issues that I know of.   All effects are turned off on all tracks for the Melodyne tuning process.  

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

I'm not following your workflow? You say you export the track for tuning. So are you using the Stand Alone Melodyne instead of just opening as a Regional effect within Cakewalk? 

And I have never used Vocal sync I actually use Melodyne to move any vocal notes that are noticeably off grid. Works especially good to line up harmonies. 

I take my Vocal tracks and split it between phrases to eliminate any breath noises etc. Then I open each clip as a regional effect in Melodyne. I have assigned my Z key to open, and my X key to render when finished. I don't use much of the pitch correction but I will fix amplitude and timing as well. 

I probably shouldn't have mentioned Melodyne.  It just happens to be the reason I'm exporting this vocal track.  That has nothing to do with this problem.

My question is only about if anyone has every noticed any  funny export audio issues related to a VocalSync audio track vs. a normal audio track?

as a general note: i don't leave region FX (or equiv) on during an export - so i render it or freeze it. this avoids the potential for "recalculations" that may happen during a new run with settings which my adjust on each time you hit play. effects like modulations and so i on also check as sometimes the playback can vary so i try to set those when possible.

• Like 2

Glenn Stanton,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  This is a new one for me. 

I would think that if I hear the VocalSync track soloed and sounding fine during 'live' playback it would also sound fine when exported to a .wav file because Cakewalk has all the time in the world to process any effects.  It's only when I hear the  exported .wav file that I hear the distortion problem.  I find that to be a surprise.

maybe try a few things - export the mix with the listen live setting on so you can hear it and agree it has no distortion or timing, then check the output file with a couple of different players and see if it is definitely the file or perhaps a player setting. if you're not hearing it during the export, then maybe the output levels or a player setting is the culprit. if you are hearing it during live listen, then i'd recommend checking your levels and any compressors / limiters etc which can be pumping too much and/or the gains are not set correctly.

in general, when i listen to the export live, i am not disappointed in the output. but i have over time run into weirdness on exports (not recently) where turning off the region FX (rendering, removing, or freeze) kept things as expected.

• Like 1

I've found VocalSync can be a little twitchy in some projects. It'll usually play correctly, but on every 3rd or 4th run through, the sync will be wildly off. Like any Region FX, I always bounce down immediately after I'm done with the process so I know what I've done is committed to a WAV that's just not going to change on me thanks to latency or some random mix variable during export.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 1:27 PM, Sven said:

Glenn Stanton,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  This is a new one for me. 

I would think that if I hear the VocalSync track soloed and sounding fine during 'live' playback it would also sound fine when exported to a .wav file because Cakewalk has all the time in the world to process any effects.  It's only when I hear the  exported .wav file that I hear the distortion problem.  I find that to be a surprise.

You could easily rule out one problem by rendering the clip and exporting that, see how it sounds