MOHO 14 is out .. ( 2D animation software )

aidan o driscoll

Been a fan of this software for yeeeeeeerrrsss .. currently have V13.5

I had MOHO when it was originally started by LOST MARBLE. Its now owned by the amazing IRISH animation Studio called CARTOON SALOON who took it over from smith micro. They use it themselves

Discounted UPGRADE prices

https://moho.lostmarble.com

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lionel said:

Looks like an amazing and fun piece of software!

As far as 2D animation software I THINK, its the best out there and easiest to use. @Lionel You can start with a very cheap entry point of $59.99 for MOHO Debut 14. No SUBs, :D one off payments

https://moho.lostmarble.com/products/moho-debut-14

There are Trial demos for both Pro and Debut also. Lots and lots of tutes

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

As far as 2D animation software I THINK, its the best out there and easiest to use. @Lionel You can start with a very cheap entry point of $59.99 for MOHO Debut 14. No SUBs, :D one off payments

There are Trial demos for both Pro and Debut also. Lots and lots of tutes

Good to know… thanks!

They have both gone on sale for roughly 40% off during Black Friday's in the past, but I cannot remember if that happened last year(?). The trial on Pro is 30 days and definitely something to try out to see how you like it (be sure to run through the tutorials as well to see what it can do). A lot was added with 14, so for just dabbling you may never need another version of it (MOHO is a perpetual license).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pseudopop said:

Does this ever go on sale? It looks like something I'd like to dabble with, but even the entry price is pretty high for just dabbling.

I reckon if DABBLING is what you may do initially then try the trial of Moho Debut .. if you like, buy for $59. Down the line I think you can upgrade to pro at a lesser price if you get more serious. 

• Like 1

May 2023 - THIS YEAR:

Humble Bundle had Moho Pro 12.5 bundle for about €25 - Deal Expired end of June 2023. So maybe Pro 13.5 will turn up in a bundle in next year or so. At that point you could upgrade to Pro 14 at the upgrade price rather than full price what ever that may be then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Quick resource post for this guy. Lost Marble posted a very nicely presented and segmented video course on YouTube (sans ads, which absolutely rules) that can be found here. With the manual for Moho 14 switching to a wiki-style format (no pdf), the video course may be a quicker alternative to learning Moho 14.

Side note for people who have been playing with graphics bundles posted recently. Most programs allow saving into psd formats, and using layers allows for much quicker jump-starts with animation tools. Unfortunately, Rebelle 7 still has issues with saving as psd formats due to all of the new goodies, so layers need to be extracted separately. Although Rebelle 7 warns you that psd formats "may not display properly" in other programs, I have found the new layers types added with Rebelle 7 make them unreadable for transfer as a psd file. Hopefully that one will get ironed out in the coming months.

The issue with Rebelle and psd formatting is addressed a few posts down in this thread. It is due to psd compression that is being used and can be shut off in preferences.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

Yeah, there are a lot of apps available with layer functionality and psd export to use out there.

Oddly enough, a Rebelle 7 psd export will import to Photoshop itself, just not other apps which I typically use. My workaround thus far has been to open them with Photoshop (CS5.5 version) then re-save them with a new name with "Max compatibility" checked. This strips out the info tags for the new Rebelle 7 features that seem to give non-Photoshop apps a heart attack, so Moho opens those "re-saves" fine then. Unfortunately, that particular workaround isn't available to everyone (without a subscription to CC that they might not necessarily need otherwise).

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 10:04 PM, mettelus said:

This strips out the info tags for the new Rebelle 7 features that seem to give non-Photoshop apps a heart attack, so Moho opens those "re-saves" fine then.

Sounds like it would be pretty simple for Rebelle to make a compatibility mode PSD save that strips out the problematic tags.

• Like 1

I just did a quick scan in Rebelle's forum for "Moho" and this post popped up. Rebelle (since v3) uses a PSD compression that most other apps cannot interpret properly, but it can be turned off in preferences (the first post is more informational since the second post was added to fix this).

Quick edit: I just did a quick check of this and those psds seem to open fine in other apps now, although there is still a disclaimer (when saving in Rebelle 7) that "Pigments used are not recognized by Photoshop, so they may not display accurately." That said, when importing new layers from other apps it is safer to import only the new layers and leave the originals intact (i.e., do work in the other apps on new layers when feasible).

Edited by mettelus

5 hours ago, mettelus said:

I just did a quick scan in Rebelle's forum for "Moho" and this post popped up. Rebelle (since v3) uses a PSD compression that most other apps cannot interpret properly, but it can be turned off in preferences (the first post is more informational since the second post was added to fix this).

Quick edit: I just did a quick check of this and those psds seem to open fine in other apps now, although there is still a disclaimer (when saving in Rebelle 7) that "Pigments used are not recognized by Photoshop, so they may not display accurately." That said, when importing new layers from other apps it is safer to import only the new layers and leave the originals intact (i.e., do work in the other apps on new layers when feasible).

Yes @mettelus, just checked and in V5 pro which I have that disable option is in preferences:

rebelle1.jpg.ea82e88e6f34cad94cde1865587b2343.jpg

I had not looked at REBELLE in a while as I mainly use AFFINITY Designer and Photo.

I note in my rebelle account there is NO upgrade path to 7, its full price. Apparently an upgrade path is only available from the previous version of Rebelle according to support@ .. If you have previous versions to that its full price.

5 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I note in my rebelle account there is NO upgrade path to 7, its full price. Apparently an upgrade path is only available from the previous version of Rebelle according to support@ .. If you have previous versions to that its full price.

I am really not sure why pricing this year was changed. Updates for Pro had always been $50 from the previous version, but for v7 it is $75. The pre-release is also something that they never did before and seemed to be open to everyone for $30. I would have missed that myself if it hadn't been posted in here, and I am not sure if it being open to everyone was a fluke or intentional.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have started digging through the Moho forums specifically for things I have been focused on recently (I have backed off scenes and focused on characters), and have been a bit hesitant to blindly mark things as "read" since the whole place isn't that huge and I don't want to miss the golden nuggets strewn along the way. This morning I finally decided to sort them by most replies and the "Sketches" in this OP was a bit of an eye opener for me. Those were done in Moho 12.2, so I need to jack the brakes on and rather than go on "assumption" of what Moho can/cannot do based on the interface, I need to delve into those tools in gory detail to find out what Moho's real limitations are (which seem to be a lot less than I have been assuming).

The "Unofficial Papagayo Update" caught me off guard as well. When someone pays a 3rd party to update legacy software and then releases it to the public is almost unheard of. I have actually been using Papagayo to flesh out the phonemes "required" for characters.

I didn't even start looking at scripts until last week, and some of the user scripts are just incredibly powerful. More and more I am evaluating new software with the ability to runs macros/scripts as a go/no-go on if I should even consider the application. Software that has no macro/script capability is removing the entire user base from making the application better.

Edited by mettelus
  • Great Idea 1