Beginner CbB and MIDI-user trying to get SSD5 sampler to play thru a TD-17 and failing.

Twub

Thanks guys, I experimented with

1. Bouncing all drum tracks to a single audio track, which of course we can't work with in a final mix, so I went with 

2. Bouncing them all to their own audio tracks.

One thing I discovered here is that the "bounce" was set up to include the FX on the tracks, and it turns out it did.

However when you look at the new tracks, the FX isn't indicated. 

So when I saw no

(in this case EQ and Reverb on the Snare Track)

I went and (unknowingly) applied the identical EQs and reverbs to the track. 

So I (unknowingly) EQd my EQs.

The result was this new and different EQ and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my snare was so different in the bounced track.

So, even though I stacked an identical EQ on top of the other, it significantly changed the sound. Still sounded good. But very different. Fatter and not as crisp. 

Anyway, it cost me an hour of head-scratching, but I learned a thing. 

Yeah, we haven't come to the "who will do what" phase for mixing and mastering.

I'm thinking as long as I do all of it, and none of them ever complain about my mix, suggest an alternate mix, or attempt to mix on their own, we'll all get along just fine. I'm easy.

so one option - is use the export dialog:

1) all tracks w whatever effects are on each one

2) all tracks w effects OFF each one

3) a stereo mix of the "master" - all effects on

4) a stereo mix of the "master" - all effects off

basically 4 tasks setup to run. make this a template. when you start a project, open the template (which should have all your stuff setup and routed etc), do your drum kit selection, do the performance(s), and then run your export tasks.

one suggestion - standardize the naming of your tracks across the templates so exporting them and importing them is quick and easy and mostly aligned right from the start.

once you're in the habit it should be quick to get started and quick to export for the mix phase (with all options available - stereo for quick mix for client ok, and full set for detailed mixing later if needed).

this way your time is spent on the kit selection & any effects, composition, and performance. and you're keeping your mind out of the mix complexities until later.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

The REALLY easy solution to this is for everyone to download the free version of slate and send the project file with the midi in it.  You know what you're doing now.  You could help them set it up.  Then, let them other fools figure out how they want to swap audio files to get it done.

I'd get a new band.  🤣

• Like 1

Just read some of this, All I can say is thank goodness my drummer uses real drums. I'm the guy in the band stuck with the recording task as the others have zero interest in technology. 

For me the hardest part was learning how to properly mike the drums. Once that was done the process became routine. The recordings are only for us and family so not fussing to much with perfection. 

I like this little hobby, keeps me occupied. 

7 hours ago, Bass Guitar said:

Just read some of this, All I can say is thank goodness my drummer uses real drums.

Real drums are the finest sounding musical instrument if they are miked and EQd  properly.  Without a doubt the most beautiful sounding, most devastating instrument on a rock and roll stage.  Nothing else even comes close. 

Acoustic, un-miked drums? 

I'd rather listen to a table saw cutting sheet metal. 

11 hours ago, HOOK said:

I'd get a new band.  🤣

Yeah? Well these guys are too good to lose. 

Like I said, I'm the easiest guy in the world to get along with if everyone just does it my way. 

So here's a new one.

I was psycho-pissed over this 20 minutes ago, but these comments got me down off the ledge, sort of. 

I've been redoing our recordings with my new VST tracks. 

Great results. 

Sit down today, to take on yet another one and the MIDI channel's not recording events.

The track template works fine in a new project. Records and plays back just fine. 

Opened yet another project of ours and same thing. 

I can't get events to happen. 

Opened yet ANOTHER project awaiting my attention, inserted my track template and I can record like a champ on THIS one. 

But not that one.....or that one....or that one. 

But this one, and THIS one goes fine. 

And ANY new, blank project lets me record. 

After 120 minutes of looking at EVERYTHING I knew of that could be the critical variable in this discrepancy,  I am no longer in any mood to record music today. 

I would appreciate any suggestions.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:18 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

so one option - is use the export dialog:

1) all tracks w whatever effects are on each one

2) all tracks w effects OFF each one

3) a stereo mix of the "master" - all effects on

4) a stereo mix of the "master" - all effects off

I'm looking into this. Thank you. Creative Sauce has some detailed vids I've been looking at about Exporting. 

6 hours ago, Twub said:

Acoustic, un-miked drums? 

I'd rather listen to a table saw cutting sheet metal. 

That is a very odd statement?  In my world  the drums need to sound right acoustically before you'd even think of miking or recording them.  They need good shells, good skins and be tuned properly. The mikes are only used to capture that sound and in a live gig make it louder.  More or less the same task as recording  or amplifying an acoustic guitar or a saxophone.  AN instrument is an instrument. And mikes won't fix the sound of any s---ty sounding instrument. 

I've played plenty of gigs over the year where miking up the the drums was not an option, They would just play a bit harder using 2B's.  and the dance floor was still hopping.  This one drummer years ago had a friggn 26" kick. That sucker was loud!  

I've been messing with these VST drums myself lately and to me they sound like something you really don't want to feature in a mix.  I hate to bug my drummer about my original songs, But I know if i finish one of these demos and play it to him he'll go" let me do that for you those drums sound awful.!"  So they will serve a good purpose in the end.  

But Glad to see your are making progress in your quest to wrestle with this weird technical stuff just like me. It's a steep learning curve but I refuse to be outsmarted by a computer. 

Edited by Bass Guitar