Dropout code 13 during recording

Christophe Perus

Question

Hi Everyone,

Lately, I get more and more audio dropouts with the code 13 during recording. I have two audio devices on my computer : one is a firewire Alesis IO 26 audio interface and the other is the internal audio from my motherboard. When recording, I make sure that windows doesn't use my audio interface and I close unnecessary apps. So, I guess, only Cakewalk uses the audio interface. Still, the dropouts makes me think some app is accessing my audio interface.

Is there any way I can track what causes these dropouts ? 

8 answers to this question

The Alesis IO26 had very bad drivers that never worked properly for me.  I had quite a few conversations with them and got them to admit that they had third-party writing the drivers before it was widely known.  I would say get rid of the the unit IMHO!     I managed to use the unit with higher ASIO buffers and also set the affinity to use certain cores back in the day.

Here's how to do it:

Open Task Manager. ...

Click “More details” ...

Right-click the app you want to modify and click “Go to details”

Right-click the app in the “Details” window and choose “Set affinity”

Select the cores/logical cores you'd like to assign to the program.

Sorry I don't remember the details anymore and got rid of the unit years ago.  I loved Alesis keyboards back in the day but their Audio-Interfaces sucked big time!

are you running Windows 7? the last updated driver for the IO26 appears to be 13 years ago in 2010... and was for Windows 7 which has a different audio architecture than Windows 10 and later.

iO|14 & iO|26 - Windows 7 Drivers [v3.5.3.8671]
Adds supports for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. Updated by Alesis 06/16/2010.

and maybe follow their troubleshooting guide in case there is something flakey with the FW device - drivers? hardware degrading?

Troubleshooting FireWire Driver Installation (rackcdn.com) https://7132afa424c2f1a2ab6d-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/1563/documents/firewire_installation_troubleshooting.pdf

if its critical for your work, then maybe check out some new IO units which can be had for under $400 w/ 8 channels. Behringer, Presonus, Tascam, and others make decent quality 8 ch units for USB 2/3. even a pair of 4-channel USB units of the same brand can typically use the same ASIO driver.

Edited by Glenn Stanton