Sonitus Reverb

HOOK

I don't know if this has been discussed before.  I've always been a huge fan of the Sonitus Reverb.  I feel like I can get any reverb I want from it, but that sucker will crash a session in a heartbeat when I start working with long verbs.  And not on just this current system.  I've had this problem on multiple systems over the years, and I had to stop using it.  

I tried using it again yesterday on a long verb and it crashed my session within a couple minutes while I was tweaking options.

Am I the only one?

I personally don't find it crashy at all, but it does sometimes cause issues with the sound cutting out in some rare scenarios, and while it's in the current session it'll kind of stop everything from playing. Start a new session, put it back in and... it works fine.

Like I said, though, it's rare and it's all over dozens of my productions here with zero issues, so whatever is the deal with its quirks, I'm not overly finding it much of a problem myself.

• Like 1

Yeah...Tim,  I didn't mention that but that's part of what I'm talking about.  It seems to cause a late buffer problem with long verbs.  That's one sign I'm bumping up against the limitations, even with a bigger buffer setting it's a problem with long verbs - say in the 3 to 5 second window.  Sometimes minor, and other times so bad it crashes the session.  Not just A session, but a lot over time.  I too have had to shut down sessions and open them again.  Seems to settle it down sometimes, but I got tired of messing with it so I stopped using it.

I have recorded at 24/96 forever with a Motu 24io (because that's where the Motu sounded best) and now for a couple years with a Lynx Aurora at 24/96. Same problem.  Perhaps the sampling rate has something to do with my particular problem.

Just done some 30 mins test and its working fine here. Did crazy effects with it on Aux/Bus and directly on the tracks. Works fine. 

Perhaps its doing it on a specific favorable synth you like? Try with different tracks/synths in a new "test" project. 

• Like 1

Not specific to any single synth or instrument.  This has persisted for me for way more than a decade, on more than one system, two interfaces, in countless projects, with live instruments and synths.  🤣  I just remembered to finally ask here about it.  I do see at least one other thread where someone else was talking about these issues earlier in the year.

It crashed on me last night - big time when I was trying to dial in a giant verb to a snare sidestick track, on a project that has run flawlessly since I started working on it in April.  

@Lord Tim - I just downloaded massive.  Yep.  That does exactly what I'm trying to do with Sonitus when I have my problem.  This will work fine for those giant Pink Floyd style verbs.  Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

I have Sonitus Reverb occasionally go stupid on me. I've learned to NEVER change settings while the song is playing. It will pop and max the meters never to return until I shutdown Cakewalk and or remove it and insert again.

But I too like it a lot and will keep using it. I have plenty of other reverbs but Sonitus gives me a nice full reverb with pre-delay that is easy to use.

Just .. don't .. change .. settings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

I have Sonitus Reverb occasionally go stupid on me. I've learned to NEVER change settings while the song is playing. It will pop and max the meters never to return until I shutdown Cakewalk and or remove it and insert again.

But I too like it a lot and will keep using it. I have plenty of other reverbs but Sonitus gives me a nice full reverb with pre-delay that is easy to use.

Just .. don't .. change .. settings.

ugh...yeah...

I guess I'm probably an exception among the dinosaurs around here  for never really having used Sonitus Reverb.  By the time I started using plugin FX in favor of hardware, CW was bundling the Lexcon Pantheon, and that became my goto for quickie, "no-brainer" room sound.