Strange midi problem. SOLVED

I use IK Multimedia Sampletron 2. It no longer works with my keyboard. If I play the visual keyboard in Sampletron the notes play correctly. If I insert an existing midi file, it plays it correctly. Yet, every other midi instrument plays correctly with my keyboard. The same thing happens with the stand-alone app.

I have restarted the computer, turned off the RME Fireface UCX ll. Strange things are happening since the recent Win 11 update.

Any ideas?

Edited by Michael Richards

30 minutes ago, Michael Richards said:

I use IK Multimedia Sampletron 2. It no longer works with my keyboard. If I play the visual keyboard in Sampletron the notes play correctly. If I insert an existing midi file, it plays it correctly. Yet, every other midi instrument plays correctly with my keyboard. The same thing happens with the stand-alone app.

I have restarted the computer, turned off the RME Fireface UCX ll. Strange things are happening since the recent Win 11 update.

Any ideas? [Emphasis added]

Based on what you have stated, the first things I would check are (1) routings, (2) settings, and (3) cables,  esp. since Sampletron 2 doesn't respond to live input in standalone mode. 

Also, sometimes my keyboard controller gets unseen by windows, possibly by some sort of energy-saving setting in Windows.  To diagnose this, I use MIDI-OX.  If Windows is not seeing midi input, usually it can be re-seen by power cycling my keyboard controller (requires rebooting MIDI-OX to check).     

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Richards said:

It wasn't de-authorized and now, by no action on my own, it is working. I turned the computer on and off 5 or 6 times and now it works. It makes no sense. It never happened before.

Glad to hear you managed to solve the issue.  As some other users have suggested in various places, power-cycling your entire system can also sometimes help reset whatever got messed up.  Makes sense to me that power-cycling can help.  In fact, when my midi controller used to become unseen by Windows on occasion, sometimes I would reboot my PC to solve the issue.  Also, sometimes my audio drivers get lodged in an unfortunate state.  For those times I also try to reset it to a working state without rebooting.  But sometimes I just reboot the whole PC and get myself a cup of coffee.  😉 

PS: If you feel the problem has been solved, you can edit the topic to add [SOLVED].  People can still offer insights, but others who are inclined to help will know that you don't need it.

Edited by User 905133
to add a PS

Yeah, along with other issues, quite often I have to reboot umpteen times to get CbB to send MIDI out to my synth. 

I've noticed the Taskbar MIDI monitor will freeze up occasionally.  I think the system USB is to blame for most these connection issues.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1