Audio disk full - how to clear it - why does it not take much to fill it?

Hi all,

I was freezing some tracks in various files and suddenly started to get this message

image.png.b35eb7d0862a45cd812ed1729dcfa7a2.png

It seems that when I freeze tracks, something is written to my C Drive.

I cleared a bit of space on my C Drive ( about 5GB ) andf that allowed more tracks to be frozen but it didn't take many more before the disk was full again. Where do I find the file that is getting all the data written to?

I have 2 drives on my laptop so all my CWP files are in the D Drive. C Drive is mainly programmes only, but that's the one that's getting filled up when I freeze the tracks.

It's quite confusing to me.

Harley

Edited by Harley Dear

Thanks Johny V. Yes I did read that thanks.

This is actually on the other laptop which is running Windows 10 and is functioning well with CbB.

I'd just like to know the destination of where those files get written to on my C drive when I freeze tracks. My D drive has HEAPS of space, so it would make sense for those 'freeze files' to be written there. Is it possible to direct them to the D Drive.

Harley

When you freeze tracks, the resultant audio file is written to either to the project audio folder, or your global audio folder - depending on your per-project audio setting in each project.

If your projects are on already your D drive, then I suspect it's going to the default global audio folder on your C drive.

You can specify a different directory in Preferences:

image.png.7381014b69b0ca41465ea42d928630a4.png

However - it's important that you move all of the existing files in C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data to your new audio folder.  Otherwise, you'll get missing audio in your projects.

• Like 1

Everytime you unfreeze something those files are not removed, I think.

- and every freeze create new files

- go to Project menu and look at associated audio files, or similar

- those are used by project right now

Even if not in project folder you can tell from name which project they belong to.

- so you can remove other files that were part of that project before but not anymore

It can also be loads of takes if you clear those out, if audio.

- deleting takes does not remove files on disk though as I recall, or if there is an option to do that?

- but they get removed from project audio files

Lots and lots of space to save there....

if fixing up folder in browse tab on the right you can easily see files on disk and don't need file explorer beside CbB/Sonar.

You can save locations in that menu as presets that easily can be monitored. Time stamps as well.

...there is a removal tool Clean Audio Folder on Utilities menu in CbB/Sonar too, but never used it since I don't know how exactly it works and have many different Cakewalk folders for different Sonar versions over the years.

Edited by Larioso
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It's an option when you Save:

image.png.b6f0def774b5533bad3f1b2475688ce8.png

This is also the preferred method to clean temporary files. A "Save as ..." with the above settings to a new project folder will only copy over the audio in use by the project at that save point. You can test that out quickly by trying and comparing to the original folder. Depending on your work flow you could be creating a lot of temp files (Cakewalk does not delete those for you as a fail safe for oopsies, but they can build up quickly in size).

If you are using Melodyne, there is a similar issue with it's cache (where the "Separations" folder is being saved in Melodyne preferences) or if you save a Cakewalk project with active Region FX in them (the cwp file will be noticeably larger). That Separations folder also does not purge, and can get to GB in size fast on you.

Quick edit: typed that from my phone so edited to add clarity regarding Melodyne. Where temporary audio is saved is in the preferences for applicable programs (Cakewalk, Melodyne, et al.), but those folders also do not purge themselves. Temporary audio (and video) files can consume massive amounts of drive space quickly. Melodyne's Separations folder (I think it defaults to 10GB max) can be purged regularly; it will reconstruct itself as needed when opening projects with active Region FX in them. For the OP, adjusting preference settings to save data to the D drive is preferred as already mentioned.

Edited by mettelus

Worth mentioning here is that for $50 you can purchase a Samsung Evo SSD. They have a management app called the Magician that I used to Migrate my C drive to the brand new drive . It took about 20 minutes.  Done. I did this on3 computers now all running better than ever after the upgrade

. SSD drives will slow down and act up in a very short life span if they are being constantly written and erased.  Changing a SSD drive is easier than changing the oil in your car now.  And about the same price.  

A word of caution regarding software that migrate your C drive... make sure you have the option to also copy over the drive partition id, or at least change it once you've copied it over.  

If the software doesn't do this, then expect to have to re-auth a bunch of your software, as it'll likely see it as a new machine.

Personally, I use Clonezilla to clone the whole drive to a new one, then PartitionWizard to resize the partitions as necessary.  Both apps are free, but for this to work your new drive will need to be at least as big, or bigger than the original.

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

A word of caution regarding software that migrate your C drive... make sure you have the option to also copy over the drive partition id, or at least change it once you've copied it over.  

If the software doesn't do this, then expect to have to re-auth a bunch of your software, as it'll likely see it as a new machine.

Personally, I use Clonezilla to clone the whole drive to a new one, then PartitionWizard to resize the partitions as necessary.  Both apps are free, but for this to work your new drive will need to be at least as big, or bigger than the original.

The Samsung Magician offers that option.  And yes in all cases I was doubling my drive size.  
In the past I always thought a clean rebuild was best but man it’s a time consuming task to re install all your software and plug ins. Only XLN needed a Computer re authorized which was a 3 minute task.