Presonus Drivers Not Recognized by Cakewalk

fret walker

I'm not sure what's really going on because there's no response to key point comments, but it seems to me that you are just misunderstanding the procedure for deselecting and selecting input & output devices in the Devices settings.
My apologies if my thought is wrong... But I suspect it is so because you wrote "When I deselect Realtek, as soon as I hit the Apply button they are selected again".

Be sure to check out Jonathan Sasor's comment below, which is also promising.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

It's conceivable that your audio configuration file is corrupt and not accepting a change, you can try manually deleting it by going to %appdata%\cakewalk\cakewalk core and deleting AUD.ini, then launch the application and try setting the driver. The Devices tab in the Preferences is showing you which devices are available to Windows, so as long as you've deselected everything under inputs and outputs, you should be able to select a different driver. 

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

I'm not sure what's really going on because there's no response to key point comments, but it seems to me that you are just misunderstanding the procedure for deselecting and selecting input & output devices in the Devices settings.
My apologies if my thought is wrong... But I suspect it is so because you wrote "When I deselect Realtek, as soon as I hit the Apply button they are selected again".

Be sure to check out Jonathan Sasor's comment below, which is also promising.

I'll be glad to address any other keypoint comments I've missed. I'm highly motivated to get this thing working!! 😁

I've tried deleting AUD.INI and rebooting several times with no change. I wish I could manually configure the AID.INI file.

As to understanding the selection process, I was able to configure it to use Presonus months ago with the ASIO realtek driver present. It's been working without a hitch.  The problem started after I ran CW without the Presonus interface connected. Now CW does not recognize the Prosonus drivers at all. The presonus device on the Input and output devices in the Devices setting shows up greyed out and not selectable. That's why it flips.

When I try to set the Playback Timing Master and the Record Timing Master the only option is Realtek. I couldn't get a screen shot of it but thef drop downs for those two fields only show realtek as an option.

Screenshot 2023-06-23 173528.png

6 hours ago, HIBI said:

Is this grayed out state after deselecting realtek drivers (and not yet hit the Apply) ?

Why did you immediately hit the Apply button after deselecting Realtek drivers?
After deselecting Realtek drivers, without hitting the Apply, and can't select the Presonus?

Yes, after I deselect realtek, Presonus is greyed out / not selectable. I tried anyway with no luck

Correct after deselecting Realtek, selecting Presonus has no effect. The only action is to accept, apply, or cancel.  

Disable all useless audio devices in Device Manager.

Then, In the registry (back it up first, of course) :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

delete those entries that are nothing to do with your Presonus audio device ( especially Realtek or Asio4All)

Reboot. If necessary go into the BIOS and cripple the on board audio.

J

8 minutes ago, fret walker said:

after I deselect realtek, Presonus is greyed out / not selectable.

Ok, that's weird... I would like to ask just to be sure,
did you deselect both "Realtek ASIO HD Audio input 1" and "Realtek ASIO HD Audio output 1" to select the Presonus?

1 hour ago, scook said:

The timing master drop down entries correspond to the currently selected devices in Preferences > Audio > Devices 

Good to know.

I confirmed that the  Presonus drivers work ok in another app. So the problem is CW specific. If I get Presonus to be selectable by virtue of being the only ASIO driver that should would correct the problem in both screens.  

I hate to mention this again but if you did follow the step by step instructions you would have had your ASIO device working a long time ago. 

Starting at 4:00 minutes. Is the Presonus the audio device as shown?  If not then you go to the next step where you disable all other devices. 

If the Presonus is not on the list of available devices then the driver is not properly installed. 

Starting at 7:45 Minutes. As I show if there is a wrong ASIO driver showing ( you obviously will see realtek) then I show you how to delete it in the REG EDIT App. 

If my video is not clear enough please let my know an I will do something to fix that. I found out that many people don't actually watch the whole videos, one person said they were in the habit of watching in 3x speed. I made the video because there are many people who seem to have issues and it will always be because the have bad ASIO drivers on their system because lots of You tubes tell them to install asio4all etc. 

15 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

I hate to mention this again but if you did follow the step by step instructions you would have had your ASIO device working a long time ago. 

Starting at 4:00 minutes. Is the Presonus the audio device as shown?  If not then you go to the next step where you disable all other devices. 

Bingo, we have a winner! You're right, the video showed how to fix the problem.

I watched the section at 4:00 again. This time I tried it along with the video. 

In Settings | System | Sound I was able to disable Realtek then started CW. This time when I deselected Realtek, Presonus became ungrayed and allowed me to check it with no problems. I closed CW and restarted. Still good. I reenabled Realtek and restarted CW. Still good. Apparently what I had done was disable the Realtek drivers in Device Manager. It obviously didn't have the same effect. 

Thank you and everyone who posted for your assistance.  I greatly appreciate it! This one had me stumped. I'm sooo glad to have CW running smoothly again!

• Like 1