Free Plugin - D16 Group Frontier Adaptive Limiter

cclarry

From their website:

Frontier is available only for registered D16 software users, who have purchased any product in the past or will do it in the future. It is available free of charge.

So, not exactly free.

Edited by John Maar

25 minutes ago, John Maar said:

From their website:

Frontier is available only for registered D16 software users, who have purchased any product in the past or will do it in the future. It is available free of charge.

So, not exactly free.

I had an account from another freebie I got (Drumazon, through Plug-in Boutique a few years ago), but from what I can see you can sign up for a free account.

I like D16's approach because we can download it first (unlike many other freebies). 

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo (though -> through)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I had an account from another freebie I got (Drumazon, though Plug-in Boutique a few years ago), but from what I can see you can sign up for a free account.

I get that, but it's their statement that "or will do it in the future" that concerns me. Do I need to commit to buying one of their paid plugins to keep the Frontier license active? Maybe that's not such a bad thing IF I have a need for one of the others. This limiter looks worth trying out. I normally use TDR's Limiter 6 GE, which I like a lot.

15 minutes ago, John Maar said:

Do I need to commit to buying one of their paid plugins to keep the Frontier license active? 

Good question.  I was able to activate the limiter just from putting in my username/password during the activate process. 

After that, I realized I have never activated Drumazon on my current PC.  So I ran the installer, followed the instructions to download a *.KEY file, and pointed the plug-in's activation dialog to the KEY.  It was a zillion times easier than trying to get the free Indie Melodica instrument working in NI's Kontakt 6 Player.

It would be good if someone who doesn't already have an account can create one and let others know if the limiter can be activated.

Edited by User 905133
corrections for the sake of clarity
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Good question.  I was able to activate the limiter just from putting my username/password during the activate process. 

After that, I realized I have never activated Drumazon.  So I ran the installer, followed the instructions to download a *.KEY file, and pointed the plug-in's activation dialog to the KEY.  It was a zillion times easier than trying to get the free Indie Melodica instrument working in NI's Kontakt 6 Player.

It would be good if someone who doesn't already have an account can create one and let others know if the limiter can be activated.

Not too bad for an activation process. It installed in the proper directories (not using the old Steinberg/VSTPlugins folder for the VST2 version) and allowed the AAX version to not install. I had to create an account the first time I instantiated Frontier, and then had to activate the account via the email they sent, and then back to the activation dialog of the plugin. I'm willing to accept that process without complaining, for what looks like a useful freebie.

Here's an old, but useful video for first time users like myself. Note that the version in the video has been updated to add a L/R Control Input setting. Not sure what functionality that adds. Anyone?

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1