APD Deal: Fluid Pitch by Pitch Innovations - 61% Off

cclarry

This sounded like such a great idea when it came along that I bought it immediately ($30, iirc). And never used it. Two years later, they had a sale ($30, I think). Forgetting that I'd previously purchased  it, I bought it again. That was two years ago. Still haven't used it.

Decided just now to give it a go, out of respect for the 60 bucks I've given them. Now, if only I could get it to work. Inserted it as a synth, because that's what the scanner says it is, but only the MIDI part. Made sure MIDI Out was enabled. Inserted an instance of Zebra2, just the audio part. Set its input to Fluid Pitch output. MIDI notes come through to the synth, but wheel events are not constrained as expected.

It would have been quicker to just define the pitch bend range in the synth, even automate it if necessary, so at this point I'm not convinced Fluid Pitch is worth the effort. Unless, of course, you're doing microtonal music, which seems to have been the inspiration for the effect, seeing as it's from an Indian developer.

Still sounds like a great idea, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Unless, of course, you're doing microtonal music, which seems to have been the inspiration for the effect, seeing as it's from an Indian developer.

This makes sense.  I was wondering what use constraining to scale notes could be on a pitch wheel, when its use (at least in my mind) is when you want to vary a pitch off of a scale note (bends, etc).  Why not just use the keyboard if you want scale notes ?

I spend a lot of time bending MIDI notes, typically with faux basses and guitars. It's a hassle. I usually end up drawing in the pitch wheel events by hand, moving them as needed and zooming in to PRV to make sure it returns to zero just in time for the next note.

It really only works reliably when the synth's bend range has been set to the interval you want. That assures that when the pitch wheel hits its maximum value, the oscillator will land on the target note. Great if your bass line is in a polka, going from root to 5 and back. Unfortunately that's not my kind of bass line. Fortunately the pitch wheel to oscillator relationship is (normally) linear, so if the synth's max bend is 12 semitones, the halfway mark is 6 semitones, and you can calculate the precise value to hit it. This is what Fluid Pitch is doing.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 4:17 PM, bitflipper said:

This sounded like such a great idea when it came along that I bought it immediately ($30, iirc). And never used it. Two years later, they had a sale ($30, I think). Forgetting that I'd previously purchased  it, I bought it again. That was two years ago. Still haven't used it.

Decided just now to give it a go, out of respect for the 60 bucks I've given them. Now, if only I could get it to work. Inserted it as a synth, because that's what the scanner says it is, but only the MIDI part. Made sure MIDI Out was enabled. Inserted an instance of Zebra2, just the audio part. Set its input to Fluid Pitch output. MIDI notes come through to the synth, but wheel events are not constrained as expected.

It would have been quicker to just define the pitch bend range in the synth, even automate it if necessary, so at this point I'm not convinced Fluid Pitch is worth the effort. Unless, of course, you're doing microtonal music, which seems to have been the inspiration for the effect, seeing as it's from an Indian developer.

Got ADHD impulsivity buying? :)