Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol MK2

Simon Cribb

Yes.  In addition to all the other things they do, they are standard MIDI keyboards.  Back when I used Sonar Platinum, I used an S49 controller. 

However, if you want to use certain features like the light guides, you'll need to run your virtual instruments within Komplete Kontrol.
I don't think the transport buttons work in Sonar, either--I think it's just Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, Studio One, Live, and Bitwig.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2

I've been using a KK S61 Mk1 for 5+ years. It works seamlessly altho it does not have the 'auto track focus' that is integrated into Cubase & Nuendo (that's on CbB, not NI).

And using Mackie Control surface, the transport controls on the hardware work; rec, stop, play as normal, loop turns an existing loop marked on/off, ff & rw move now time by 1 measure.

Do not know if the 'mixer' knobs on Mk2 will integrate as ctrl surface. I've heard of too many hardware failures with the Mk2 for me to have to upgrade. 

That's all I  need. 

Integration in Cubase is deeper like automatic track/instrument focus from hardware, but I just work around that.

Edited by OutrageProductions

7 hours ago, Simon Cribb said:

Hi,

I have just re-installed SONAR PLATINUM after a hiatus of about 5 years.

Off-topic from Komplete Kontrol, but since you have just installed Sonar Platinum after 5 years, be aware that Cakewalk by BandLab is a free upgrade with literally thousands of updates and bug fixes since Platinum was last released in 2017.

Recommend leaving Platinum in place and installing Cakewalk by BandLab. It runs an updated Sonar core program, and will import your Platinum extras. https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

14 hours ago, Simon Cribb said:

Hi,

I have just re-installed SONAR PLATINUM after a hiatus of about 5 years. I am looking at midi keyboards. Can anyone tell me if SONAR is compatible with Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2?

+1 

I too would recommend that you download the Cakewalk by Bandlab version for you Computer and remove  the Platinum version.  If you had a Cakewalk account, you can log into  http://www.cakewalk.com/Command-Center  to use the Command Center and retrieve your purchased instruments and plugins.

+1 for installing latest version of CbB!

I left SONAR X3 on my machine, installed CbB, migrated setting and plugins, then used Win P&F ctrl panel to uninstall only the SONAR application after I was happy with everything. 

All my old bundled plugs stayed installed and running. 

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jesse g said:

I too would recommend that you download the Cakewalk by Bandlab version for you Computer and remove  the Platinum version. 

Edit (for clarity): By all means install the latest Cakewalk by BandLab after you have installed Sonar Platinum!

If you want the best first-time experience with Cakewalk, it's usually recommended to leave Sonar Platinum installed. I did, and it's not caused any problems here in 5 years! And all of my Sonar bundled plugins still work just fine in Cakewalk. Don't care to risk breaking* any of them by removing Sonar. ;)

* Not absolutely sure if it's still true, but there were some plugins that were locked to the Platinum installation.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

If you want the best first-time experience with Cakewalk, it's usually recommended to leave Sonar Platinum installed. I did, and it's not caused any problems here in 5 years! And all of my Sonar bundled plugins still work just fine in Cakewalk. Don't care to risk breaking any of them by removing Sonar. ;)

abacab,

He just reinstalled Sonar Platinum after having it uninstalled for 5 years.  Why wouldn't you recommend a new install using Bandlab?  Bandlab is a more updated version than Platinum and he can install  what he previously purchased by logging into the Cakewalk Command Center and downloading what he wants.

Just now, jesse g said:

abacab,

He just reinstalled Sonar Platinum after having it uninstalled for 5 years.  Why wouldn't you recommend a new install using Bandlab?  Bandlab is a more updated version than Platinum and he can install  what he previously purchased by logging into the Cakewalk Command Center and downloading what he wants.

Not what I said. I recommended the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab. ;)

I just added that it's recommended to install Sonar Platinum first if you own it (which he did), then install Cakewalk by Bandlab. Done!

Uninstalling Sonar Platinum afterwards is optional. Some do and some don't...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

Not what I said. I recommended the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab. ;)

I just added that it's recommended to install Sonar Platinum first if you own it (which he did), then install Cakewalk by Bandlab. Done!

Uninstalling Sonar Platinum afterwards is optional. Some do and some don't...

Ok, I misread your entry, sorry about that.  I though you were saying to install Sonar Platinum and just use that.   👍

• Like 1