Midi to Audio issue

brandon

I am currently converting a few tracks of midi to audio and all was going well. Until I tried converting some guitar picking (via the Ample Sound plugin). For some reason it goes through the conversion process but there is no audio in the resultant track - just a flat line. I tried converting to a mono track then to a stereo track with the same result. I have converted this track before (in the same project) and it worked then - but not now. The only difference I can see is that the 'input Echo' is marked as 'on' in the Ample Guitar track and I cant turn it off ...whether this is the reason I dont know but would appreciate some advice.

Image below for info. Thank you.

image.png.981e171b86865ba477957761772ee52c.png

if you click the input button it should toggle to auto thru/off, but that shouldn't have an effect on your problem.  Also it you have a split instrument track, you need to select the midi track as well as the  the audio track. From what I can see though, you don't have them selected -you need to click it until you see the tracks light up, or grey out, or whatever color you are using. To avoid confusion as I have many tracks, I make folders for all, and keep the audio and midi together -one above the other. Your performances seem to be pretty far separated from your synth (audio track) -which again, is not a problem but it makes easier housekeeping when you have a lot of tracks. YOu can see in the sample below.

bounce to tracks.png

19 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Select both the MIDI track and the synth track, then... Bounce To Tracks or however you were converting them.

Hi - yes that i was trying. But the result was no audio in the bounced track. Its a bit of a conundrum as i was bouncing other midi tracks to audio and they all worked.

11 hours ago, Michael Fogarty said:

if you click the input button it should toggle to auto thru/off, but that shouldn't have an effect on your problem.  Also it you have a split instrument track, you need to select the midi track as well as the  the audio track. From what I can see though, you don't have them selected -you need to click it until you see the tracks light up, or grey out, or whatever color you are using. To avoid confusion as I have many tracks, I make folders for all, and keep the audio and midi together -one above the other. Your performances seem to be pretty far separated from your synth (audio track) -which again, is not a problem but it makes easier housekeeping when you have a lot of tracks. YOu can see in the sample below.

bounce to tracks.png

Sorry the screenprint didnt show the fact I had selected both the midi track and the audio track. I have also tried clicking the input but it doesnt 'unlight' the echo buttomn ( I understand this isnt the issue but still odd).

19 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Have you tried to just freeze the AmpleSound VST?

Not yet  - I  was trying to overcome this issue first . I prefer to convert to audio wherever possible in the first instance.  

Check this (pardon but let's cover the obvious):

Output of track 3 is going to track 8?

Put track 8 into record? Any waveform recorded?

Have you tried to drag the midi clip (track 3) down to the instrument track 8?

Then <Bounce to track> to destination 9 (or next available).

Or <Freeze synth> then drag audio clip to track 9 (or next available).

Edited by OutrageProductions

If it was me I would first hold down shift and drag the Midi data to the Instrument track. You don't need the separate midi track. Then you freeze the synth. Then if you want to save the audio you have a few options.

1- Export the the track as a stem using your projects sample rate and 32 bit no dither.  make sure to select entire project. You can drag this back into the project. 

2- Bounce the track -Really bouncing opens the same dialogue as well so no real difference just different button to press. 

3. With the track frozen open the project audio folder in the Browser and you will find that tracks audio so you can drag that to the project. That track in the audio folder is deleted when you unfreeze the synth. 

Worst case scenario (if the VSTi outputs audio) is to route that to an AUX track and record it real time. There have been situations over the years where fast bounces do not function properly. Freezing should also work but sometimes backing out of that to edit performance has lost VSTi settings for some (always back up files before destructive edits just in case).

On 4/21/2023 at 1:15 AM, OutrageProductions said:

Check this (pardon but let's cover the obvious):

Output of track 3 is going to track 8?

Put track 8 into record? Any waveform recorded?

Have you tried to drag the midi clip (track 3) down to the instrument track 8?

Then <Bounce to track> to destination 9 (or next available).

Or <Freeze synth> then drag audio clip to track 9 (or next available).

Hi - I have been 'bouncing to track' for 3 other midi tracks and have successfully converted them to audio. In a previous version of this project i successfully converted the track in question from midi to audio. For some reason it is just not playing ball. And thats whats got me stumped.

Hi guys and than you so much for the advice. The real issue is i have done this all before in the same project. And for some reason it is not working for this particular track. The track plays fine - the midi notes access the plugin and all is well. But bounce to track results in no audio in the resultant track. I can do the same with midi tracks through the TTS! and get a fine audio track. Its not like it cant be done am just guessing theres a bug (for no reason) in the plug in but its beyond me as to why as it plays fine.