MIDI does not play back on a large existing project, but a new project it does

Hi,

I have confirmed that I can record midi and have it play back on my external keyboard with a new project. But if I load the project I want to add midi that controls an external synth in the same way, the notes will record, but they do not play the instrument. 

Oddly, I can examine the midi notes in the Piano Roll and, if I drag them around, they trigger the external keyboard as expected. But playing the midi does not. 

It seems there is something about this project that is obstructing the sending of midi notes out to the instrument. I have hunted around but cannot figure it out. 

Any ideas? And THANKS in advance for your time...

Yours, John

The assigned I/O ports for the instrument track are possibly different than when you first created the existing project. Cakewalk can shuffle them around, especially if you connect new audio hardware to the PC, or switch to a new PC. Probably not obvious, but worth checking the routing carefully and compare with a new project.

• Great Idea 1

I sat down to make a video and demonstrate the issue and I discovered that the problem was that I had dragged existing midi data into the new track and this data would not play, and if I added data to the track that would not play as well, though it would record. But in the process I tried using the Import MIDI option and voila! It worked! Another lesson learned. 

Thank you to everyone for your input!