Update: NI - Reaktor 6.5.0

Frank

2 hours ago, MarcL said:

This is also the reason why I think that a Windows installer for each little plugin is overkill! It is much overhead and many times there are things installed with it that you never use (Avid, ...). Why not just have a zip-file for simple plugins? IMHO it does not take more time for installation that way, if you have a clear organization.

It's been years since I had my hands on a MAC, and I seem to recall that application installs/uninstalls were much more straightforward than with Windows...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Installed v3.3 because I was missing updates.
I now have the updates but gaaawd...
They must have it running in debug mode - I'm using a i7 with abundant resources and it runs sooo slowly.
No excuse for such crappy performance in a publicly released app.

Dive deep into Native Access

Learn about the inner workings of Native Access as our Product Manager chronicles its startup journey in the latest DevTalks session. Ask him anything!

DevTalks: Native Access Startup Journey and Next steps

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/12231/devtalks-native-access-startup-journey-and-next-steps/p1

"Hi everyone.

As promised, here is our quarterly update of Q1 and what’s coming in the next quarter. I’ll start with a topic deep dive, and go into what we’ve done and will do next afterwards. I’m eager to hear feedback on this format." ...

Edited by abacab

4 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Just installed NA2 .. and indeed, relative to NA1 it is a resource hog cpu wise etc.

BUT I did see updates not in NA1 and we really only use NA to update, add new or uninstall so its not on all the time 

Depending on what I own and what updates are being posted I'm sometime firing it up a couple of times a week.
With NA1 was not an issue, with NA2 - if this remains the experience I'm going try like hell to avoid installing or updating anything related to NI.

Edited by TheSteven

9 hours ago, abacab said:

It's been years since I had my hands on a MAC, and I seem to recall that application installs/uninstalls were much more straightforward than with Windows...

To me the install of a simple plugin is not an "application install", vs. a real program like a DAW, an editor or the like! Most plugin installs could be a simple copy of 1 or a few files and not more, really! I appreciate the developers that still support this (Klanghelm, Toneboosters, ...).

5 hours ago, MarcL said:

To me the install of a simple plugin is not an "application install", vs. a real program like a DAW, an editor or the like! Most plugin installs could be a simple copy of 1 or a few files and not more, really! I appreciate the developers that still support this (Klanghelm, Toneboosters, ...).

I think that brings up an important point: many modern plugins are no longer "simple", for example with complex virtual instruments, that usually require many additional support files and/or sample content to be installed elsewhere from the plugin path itself.

A simple copy of a few files might still be true for a simple effect plugin, such as an EQ or compressor, or even a simple synth with just a .dll file. If that's a requirement, then stick with the devs that still support such minimal installs. But for better or worse, it appears that the industry trend has been moving in the other direction for years now...