Event List change multiple notes to same pitch?

sadicus

1)Event List -  what exactly does Multi select allow to be multiselected AND changed  at the same time?
2) What's the procedure to change various multiselcted notes to the same pitch? (all theses selected notes  equal to E)

cbb_SelectMultiNotes.jpg

1)  Multi-select and changing values in Event List - 2 separate things. Also, the view dialog, as in your screen shot, is for turning on or off (filtering) the events shown.

2) Going by your description & screenshot - I would be more likely to use the "Process - Find/Change" tool, on the MIDI track in question, on all notes at the same time selection (or whatever section, selected notes, etc., of the track you want). -Changing the values in Event View is an event-by-event process, at least it has been for me.

• Like 1

@msmcleodyes I call that Laser Beam select! I've messed up a few projects with it.
A good feature request would to have a toggle so it only selects what is visible.

@JnTuneTech
....well I agree. and do not understand how "min/max range" is being interpreted.
F1 thru F1 to me means only select F1, yet for some reason it selects every thing below F1. I also tried the "exc" check boxes.
Any  vid tutorial for this?

cbbFindReplaceRange.thumb.jpg.dbc2e7f385aaa4ee5e5eecf6fa7b0260.jpg

Edited by sadicus

@sadicus - I don't know about any video, but maybe there is documentation, though since I suggested this, I will test...  So:

I cannot reproduce what you had happen.  Perhaps you are doing the steps differently, I cannot tell from the screenshot. I did what you described, on a MIDI track of my own, selected a bunch of notes, find / change only one pitch, and move that pitch, and it works every time for me.

My steps, for moving notes as you described, in case it helps:

1) Select a group of notes you want to act upon. -Carefully. If you have other things selected offscreen or whatever, there are consequences!

2) Click on the CbB file view menu - Process - and select Find/Change.   -The Event Filter - Search window should come up.   -This is 1 of 2 phases, and don't close the windows in the middle of the process to re-select things, or you will need to start over, and maybe undo if it went wrong.

3) Click on "None" on the bottom right of that window. Then, check the box next to "Note" in the upper left. (If you repeat this operation during a session, the last used settings will already be there).    [P.S. What you show in the screen shots for this looks right]

4) Make a selection choice. -As in your example, start and end note value being the same will select just events of that note value, etc..  -Click "OK" to get the 2ond window.

5) Event Filter - Replace window should be there now, blink and you will miss the change, looks exactly like the other, except for the title.  - Make a result choice. As in your example, selecting start & end note being the same (but different than the 1st selection) will result in moving the selection to the Replace choice.   -Click OK, and the matching selected notes should have moved, -unless they were not included in the choices you made.

-Works fine for me, but perhaps some step was skipped - or something I can't see happened on your end. Nothing moves in my tests until both windows are done, not sure if that screen shot makes sense there...    Anyway, that's one use of that tool. Most of the time I use it to modify velocity range, on a track full of notes that were input without much regard for velocity, or ones that just need refinement to match the sampler velocities I want to hit...  -Anyway, keep at it, or maybe you've already figured this one out by now!

Edited by JnTuneTech
word order, correct word!

7 hours ago, sadicus said:

and do not understand how "min/max range" is being interpreted.
F1 thru F1 to me means only select F1, yet for some reason it selects every thing below F1

your screen is showing a selection of F-1 (two octaves below F1) to F1 range, then change to D1

if you need just a simple transpose of selected notes quickest would be menu Process>Transpose, or just hold SHIFT and grab the selected notes to their new location in PRV

It really is great to learn from these discussions, invaluable really when good positive folks bring the knowledge! So - as to the original OP - never mind about Event List stuff I initially suggestedfor this.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:51 AM, sadicus said:

2) What's the procedure to change various multiselcted notes to the same pitch? (all theses selected notes  equal to E)

I now would just use what @Bristol_Jonesey does in the post above. And, since you only asked to change selected MIDI note pitch, and seem to indicate having issues with not seeing the results, just do it on what you see/have selected in your PRV at the moment.   -I also found that if the first note in your selection is already at the pitch you want all the others to become, it will be quicker, as that value is what the Event Inspector will start with for you to pick.

I had never looked at that tool much, so this is great learning for me. -But I do still use the Find/Change tool for mass MIDI note & data editing very useful, -it's just in the case of the OP situation/post title here, it can be a bit overkill!