Song Association Game :D

Notes_Norton

10 minutes ago, Rain said:

Iron Maiden - Killers

Krist, I saw Iron Maiden in 1980 and they were absolutely incredible. Even then, you knew they would end up being massive.

Call me a heretic, but I still prefer Di'Anno to Bruce. Those first two IM albums - especially #1 - are still in my all-time favourites list.

To add - I also saw Sampson back in the day when BD went by the moniker Bruce Bruce. I've also seen Wolfsbane with Blaze singing. So for me, the IM singers are 1-Di'Anno, 2-Blaze, 3-Bruce.

The quality of the songs has arguably been better when BD has been in the band, but I've never really rated him as highly as he rates himself 😊

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Krist, I saw Iron Maiden in 1980 and they were absolutely incredible. Even then, you knew they would end up being massive.

Call me a heretic, but I still prefer Di'Anno to Bruce. Those first two IM albums - especially #1 - are still in my all-time favourites list.

To add - I also saw Sampson back in the day when BD went by the moniker Bruce Bruce. I've also seen Wolfsbane with Blaze singing. So for me, the IM singers are 1-Di'Anno, 2-Blaze, 3-Bruce.

The quality of the songs has arguably been better when BD has been in the band, but I've never really rated him as highly as he rates himself 😊

I wholeheartedly agree.

TNOTB is a phenomenal album - they really hit something with that one, they had some amazing songs and Dickinson was at the top of his game. It's also the first Maiden album I ever heard, so it's hard to be objective, because there's that aura around it. And those Hammersmith shows were also fantastic.

Nevertheless, I could not call it my favorite. I'm really torn between the first two albums - probably in part because Killers involved Martin Birch and Adrian Smith, who's one of my favorite guitarists. As a whole, I feel it may not be as coherent as the first album, but even then, I just love those songs. The album takes you places but it retains that edge, that raw "punk" energy.

Dickinson may be technically more impressive than Dianno because of his range and all, but at the end of the day, to me, Dianno was a much more exciting vocalist, covering a much wider range of vocal styles, with lots of emotion, and he had a grit that Dickinson just could never match. It's like asking an intellectual to reproduce what someone else does instinctively - usually, they miss the point by a mile and they don't even realize it.

I still believe Dickinson was the perfect singer for The Beast, but as a friend and I were discussing a little while ago, he's more of a one trick pony. And with the insane touring schedules, it really wasn't long before his voice started to lose all those interesting harmonics. By Live After Death, I could hardly bear to listen to him - it was as if he was yelling that one note at the top of his voice for 90 minutes. 

I'm also not a fan of the man himself - although Dianno seems to be quite a character too...

Edited by Rain
  • Great Idea 1