APD Deal - Rackmode Signal Processors by Cherry Audio

cclarry

Welp, here’s my take.  

$38?  Cop it.  

Now, I own a ton of Moog hardware and software.  I still have at least a pair of each of their EQs (1/3&parametric).  My biggest gripe is that the “drive” knob on the plug in’s suck total crap.  It does NOTHING until you crank it past 7 o clock.  I contacted PSP about this and they said :

It was decided that they shouldn’t distort too much. If you run more level into them, they will distort more. In the hardware, when you turn up the drive (which is technically input level), there is compensation that turns the output down by an equal amount. It’s actually a counter-wired dual pot that does this. This compensation is effective only up to a point and will distort if the input level is loud enough. This is why there is no change up to a point and then change afterward. With more input level this will happen earlier on the DRIVE pot.

I feel they got this wrong IMO, and I do “get” how the hardware works.  I even held on to a faulty unit that’s drive was more aggressive.  Furthermore, I very, very often use the MID BAND on the parametric EQ to EQ low frequencies, and to my ears the mid and low band are exactly the same in the plug in.  My hardware could be different, but they’d have to be consistently off.  

They do feel moogsque and at the price point, gripes aside, I suggest the purchase.  I do welcome a Softube or UAD version in the future.  But you won’t see those for $38 for a freakin’ bundle like this, so cop it.  

4 hours ago, e-cue said:

Welp, here’s my take.  

$38?  Cop it.  

Now, I own a ton of Moog hardware and software.  I still have at least a pair of each of their EQs (1/3&parametric).  My biggest gripe is that the “drive” knob on the plug in’s suck total crap.  It does NOTHING until you crank it past 7 o clock.  I contacted PSP about this and they said :

It was decided that they shouldn’t distort too much. If you run more level into them, they will distort more. In the hardware, when you turn up the drive (which is technically input level), there is compensation that turns the output down by an equal amount. It’s actually a counter-wired dual pot that does this. This compensation is effective only up to a point and will distort if the input level is loud enough. This is why there is no change up to a point and then change afterward. With more input level this will happen earlier on the DRIVE pot.

I feel they got this wrong IMO, and I do “get” how the hardware works.  I even held on to a faulty unit that’s drive was more aggressive.  Furthermore, I very, very often use the MID BAND on the parametric EQ to EQ low frequencies, and to my ears the mid and low band are exactly the same in the plug in.  My hardware could be different, but they’d have to be consistently off.  

They do feel moogsque and at the price point, gripes aside, I suggest the purchase.  I do welcome a Softube or UAD version in the future.  But you won’t see those for $38 for a freakin’ bundle like this, so cop it.  

Why do you ask PSP for improvement of CA Plugins ?!? 🤔😉

5 hours ago, Fleer said:

Cherry Audio rock.

For me they don't rock at all! I don't like that they do not support any offline authorization. Recently I came even to the clue that I should not add any plugins anymore that have some kind of machine authorization, I had so much trouble with that kind of sh... (PA is an exception, never had trouble with them and their auth is for all plugins at once). Thus my target are plugins/libraries that don't have authorization (e.g. full Kontakt!), that have an offline key/file or iLok authorization.

• Sad 1