CbB fx chains (was fx chain presets)

Not sure about some of the others but the BT Brickwall limiter totally failed my tests. Even at a moderate setting of -2 db with out being pushed hard the music came through at -0.5 or worse.

It was the bottom of the score card of 10 other limiters I tested.  Boost 11 actually did very well. 

I excluded all the BT plug ins a while ago. 
Im sort of against pre sets of any kind. You never learn anything about how to use the tools and what the settings are for. I guess they can be a starting point. 

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

Not sure about some of the others but the BT Brickwall limiter totally failed my tests. Even at a moderate setting of -2 db with out being pushed hard the music came through at -0.5 or worse.

It was the bottom of the score card of 10 other limiters I tested.  Boost 11 actually did very well. 

I excluded all the BT plug ins a while ago. 
Im sort of against pre sets of any kind. You never learn anything about how to use the tools and what the settings are for. I guess they can be a starting point. 

I've been using IK's Brickwall Limiter for years and to my ears at least, it does a superb job of limiting without obvious clipping artefacts or other distortion.

2 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

I've been using IK's Brickwall Limiter for years and to my ears at least, it does a superb job of limiting without obvious clipping artefacts or other distortion.

I used  the BT 4 or 5 years but I was wondering why even though I'd set it for -1.0 db  Wave lab would show it was -0.3 or even sometimes -0.1. It never went over but it most certainly never stayed close to the setting. So I'd set it at -2.0 db and then I got closer to -1.0.  Then I started using the You Lean Loudness meter so I could work in real time and that's when I saw how bad the BT really was. 

I switched to the Loud Max Brickwall about 2 years ago and if I set it at -1.0 I mostly get -1.0 Odd time I will  get -0.8. And believe it or not the Boost11 is very accurate too.   I know a lot of Cakewalk users have dismissed Boost11 but it tested clean ( until pushed hard) and it does a very good job of limiting.  

IK makes good stuff but I like  cheap or free! I'm really finding good things from Melda too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

I used  the BT 4 or 5 years but I was wondering why even though I'd set it for -1.0 db  Wave lab would show it was -0.3 or even sometimes -0.1. It never went over but it most certainly never stayed close to the setting. So I'd set it at -2.0 db and then I got closer to -1.0.  Then I started using the You Lean Loudness meter so I could work in real time and that's when I saw how bad the BT really was. 

I switched to the Loud Max Brickwall about 2 years ago and if I set it at -1.0 I mostly get -1.0 Odd time I will  get -0.8. And believe it or not the Boost11 is very accurate too.   I know a lot of Cakewalk users have dismissed Boost11 but it tested clean ( until pushed hard) and it does a very good job of limiting.  

IK makes good stuff but I like  cheap or free! I'm really finding good things from Melda too. 

Yes, I got a great deal from IK when they were running one of their promotions and picked up a dozen or so of their "Singles" for a ridiculously low price

They form the basis of every mastering chain that I set up. The LP EQ is to die for, as is the Limiter and Bus Compressor

• Like 2

Yes and that’s great advice for the op @charles kasler  Best way to get all the plug ins you want is to keep your eyes on the deals. I have a lot of $100+ plug ins I got for $10+. By paying attention. 
In the Instrument sub forum is a couple of threads that list freebies and deals. Also KVR has a newsletter.  
I always subscribe to emails with companies I want  stuff from. 
I’ve ended up with Melodyne Editor for about 30% less from grabbing Essentials on sale a few years ago for $99, Then the next year they let me upgrade to Artist for another $99 and then this year it was yet another $99 to get Editor. that was a total of $300 and it's list price is $499. By the way I see all Melodyne versions are $100 off right now.   

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3