FR: Double-click to open Skylight panes

Starship Krupa

At present, the only way to open Skylight panels is to either click on a rather tiny button or a keystroke. It occurs to me that there's a much larger target, the bars at the edges. I'd love to be able to double-click on them to open the panels.

It would save a lot of mouse hunting and make the program feel more slick. This would especially help me (and others) when working on a laptop with a 14" screen.

image.thumb.png.d729edc1373cf49373ea028cc26dc5f0.png

• Great Idea 2

The gaps between views are "Splitter Bars" that can be dragged to open/close/reposition the views.

Multidock tabs can be 2x clicked to open them full-screen then 2x clicked again to return to 1/2 open state.

EDIT: I would add 1x click to bring you back to fully open Track View.

And in case you dinint know, the icons on the collapsed Inspector & Browser can be clicked to reopen them.

Edited by sjoens

5 hours ago, murat k. said:

Double click to "Separator Bar" instead.

Well, son of a gun, you can double click on the thin splitter line and open and close the Browser and Multidock, but not Inspector. I never even tried that. Kind of a skinny target, but it does at least open and close the pane.

My feature request stands: expand the functionality to include the borders as well, and include the Inspector in the fun.

17 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Well, son of a gun, you can double click on the thin splitter line and open and close the Browser and Multidock, but not Inspector. I never even tried that. Kind of a skinny target, but it does at least open and close the pane.

My feature request stands: expand the functionality to include the borders as well, and include the Inspector in the fun.

No. You can expand and collapse any of them also including the Inspector instead of either click on a rather tiny button or a keystroke.

This may or may not be helpful to others, so I am sharing it as a take it or leave idea (i.e., its not intended to spark controversy or debate).  It stems from recent visual issues trying to track the Windows crosshair mouse pointer across two monitors with different resolutions.  It works for me, but it might not work for others and I am quite comfortable with that.

So, I increased the size of the mouse pointer. 

As anyone who uses Cakewalk for any length of time might have observed, changes in the mouse pointer serve as visual clues for what's going on. I have found (and it could just be me, which is OK) the changes in the now-enlarged mouse pointer are  helpful.  So, when moving the mouse pointer across the edge/border/boundary/line or whatever it is officially called, the normal  pointer arrow that points to the upper left on my PC changes to either a horizontal line or a vertical line with an arrow point on both ends.

For me, that's the clue that I can drag & resize or double click.

If this helps anyone, great.  If not, please ignore.

Edited by User 905133
changed "cursor" to "mouse pointer"
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Also you can't make a demand about a thing which you are not aware of:

On 2/18/2023 at 6:00 AM, Starship Krupa said:

At present, the only way to open Skylight panels is to either click on a rather tiny button or a keystroke.

And I told you the way:

9 hours ago, murat k. said:

Double click to "Separator Bar" instead.

And please use an appropriate languge when you're talking to other people in the forum:

Well, son of a gun,

• Meh 1

9 hours ago, murat k. said:

you can't make a demand about a thing which you are not aware of:

Yes I can. It's part of how I learn.

please use an appropriate languge when you're talking to other people in the forum:

Apologies. I was not calling you a "son of a gun." Heavens no.

That expression is used for astonishment in American slang. It's short for "Well, I'll be a son of a gun." It's like, "well, I'll be damned," or "well, I'll be a monkey's uncle." I was astonished to learn what you had said.

Meaning, if what the person speaking says is not true, then they will declare themselves as a "son of a gun." I am not a son of a gun, neither of my parents are firearms, and, as you said, you can double-click on the separator lines to open the Browser and Multidock.

I should remember to take care with ambiguous American slang when conversing with non-native English speakers in this international forum.

Edited by Starship Krupa

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Well, son of a gun, you can double click on the thin splitter line and open and close the Browser and Multidock, but not Inspector.

2x clicking Inspector should work, but there seems to be a bug or 2.

Once icons are clicked to open Inspector, 2x clicking splitter to open/collapse is disabled.
This remains so as long as a collapsed Inspector icon is active (lit).

Collapsing/opening Inspector with or without tabbed window seems a little awkward and requires specific routine.

Browser icons works differently in that you can open it by clicking an icon but you can only collapse it with the arrow button.

BTW, since I learned that it works on Multidock my wish to 1x click the tabs to return to TV is null&void. 

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

Yes I can. It's part of how I learn.

No. In the OP you were not aware of the functionality of the Separator Bar's double click action. And after my comment you said:

17 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

expand the functionality to include the borders as well, and include the Inspector in the fun.

So you can't make a demand about a thing which you're not aware of. Only after my comment, you became able to do a feature request about expanding the functionality.

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Apologies. I was not calling you a "son of a gun." Heavens no.

After all these behaviours of yours, apology seems not acceptable but I accept it this time. We should be mindful of our behavior from the start and not have to apologize. Even if you use a slang your approach is not appropriate for a comment which points you a solution of your needs.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sjoens said:

2x clicking Inspector should work, but there seems to be a bug or 2.

Yeah, you're right about that. Separator Bar is only active in the Mixer mode. The cursor icon is not changing to resize mode because it becomes unresizable with the other modes. So this means that double click function is only active when there is a resizable dock.

4 hours ago, murat k. said:

Even if you use a slang your approach is not appropriate for a comment which points you a solution of your needs.

You are obviously wise in matters of etiquette in electronic discourse. This is an opportunity for education. Can you give me an example of an approach that would be appropriate? For future reference?

Edited by Starship Krupa

1 minute ago, Starship Krupa said:

You are obviously wise in matters of etiquette in electronic discourse. Can you give me an example of an approach that would be appropriate? For future reference?

Of course, you can start by doing things that you don't need to ask such questions.