Who's In Control ?

noynekker

I had the great pleasure of working with my long time friend Daniel in a songwriting and recording studio a few years back.
Well, I got the news of his passing this last week, so wanted to post one of my favourite pieces we worked on together.
Daniel was quite the synthesizer wizard . . . right from getting out the soldering gun to creating the sounds.
In this one I think he used E-mu Proteus/1 rack mount, Rhodes Chroma Polaris, MemoryMoog, and a DX7.
Hope you enjoy, a bit long for a pop song (as a keyboardist, he did enjoy his Tony Banks and Genesis)
I don't have individual tracks, so just trying to tweak and improve a stereo mix done back in those days, from a VHS tape !

• Like 3

Hello Bruce , I'm terribly sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I lost my Best friend and playing partner 2 years ago this week. It's nice to still have his playing and voice on my pc. Seems like he's still here while listening. Fantastic job on the song . I've used VHS for recording long practice sessions. Listening , some of them were pretty entertaining  after we'd had a few too many..        Enjoyed it ..    mark

15 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Hello Bruce , I'm terribly sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I lost my Best friend and playing partner 2 years ago this week. It's nice to still have his playing and voice on my pc. Seems like he's still here while listening. Fantastic job on the song . I've used VHS for recording long practice sessions. Listening , some of them were pretty entertaining  after we'd had a few too many..        Enjoyed it ..    mark

Hey Mark . . . glad to hear you enjoyed it, yes, friends gone but the music lives on. Kind of a melancholy week for me, listening to a lot of old recordings . . . but will need to write something new very soon to express it all !

• Like 1

Hi Bruce

Sorry to hear of your loss of your friend, but this sounds a really good track to remember him by - some very nice playing and mix sounds good to me.

i know how you must be feeling as a very close friend of mine lost his wife just yesterday after a short battle with the Big C. She was a great vocalist as well, such a shame.

Nigel

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Bruce

Sorry to hear of your loss of your friend, but this sounds a really good track to remember him by - some very nice playing and mix sounds good to me.

i know how you must be feeling as a very close friend of mine lost his wife just yesterday after a short battle with the Big C. She was a great vocalist as well, such a shame.

Nigel

Nigel . . . thanks, great to hear you liked it.

Regards to you and your friends . . . I find there are not a lot of words for such things, but music heals.

Bruce

1 hour ago, bjornpdx said:

Very engaging song and Still sounds great.
Kind of reassuring that  creative efforts can live on  after you're gone.
(The older I get the more I think about these things.)
-Bjorn

Bjorn  . . . thanks for your kind comments. Yes, all things must pass . . . so make some music while you're here.

A wise friend once told me to never believe we are only dust in the wind.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:28 PM, KSband said:

Catchy song I like it. I lost my friend that I did a lot of recording with, it is nice to have his guitar playing still there, although makes me sad too. 

@KSband thanks for having a listen ! Yes, there is a definite bond when you create music together with someone, finding out this week how that stays, even when they are gone.