One of my favorites is Parasite - always wanted to play it live and never had the opportunity until the first KISS Night I was invited to. Unfortunately, the cab I had booked 24h in advance to go to the venue never showed up, so I arrived late an missed that one. I guess I invonluntarily pulled an Ace Frehley.

But I did get to play a bunch of more recent favorites, including I Still Love You, which the guys went on to record as a promo and shoot a video for with my ex, Danger, and Unholy.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 3

Thanks to this thread, I've been going through one of my KISS phases, and I just remembered that I had a signed copy of this one on the shelf that I got when I played KISS Night in 2016 and some friends introduced us to Lydia.

I'm just getting around to reading it. Phenomenal collection of pictures and souvenirs of all kinds. Warmly recommended to anyone interested in the band, especially the early days. (Full disclaimer, I'm really no fan of Peter Criss - I actually have very little respect for him as a person - but this book is still worth it).

324567188_722634292524507_722584086414473631_n.thumb.jpg.990d0a58e996839daae28d6a74897c1d.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, craigb said:

Is Lydia his wife?  Did Beth get ticked off that he was playing with the guys all night long? 

Hi first wife, yes, and they'd been together since the mid 60's. So many never seen before pics and cool stuff, it's incredible.

2 hours ago, craigb said:

And I just did a Google search to discover that Beth wasn't even a wife or girlfriend to Peter, but to his guitarist in a band called Chelsea.  Go figure!

Yeah, it was called Beck. 

Seems that Bob Ezrin helped "polish" the song and suggested changing the title. I am inclined to believe that he did more than a little polishing - even without taking into account the orchestration. Especially on that song. I have a feeling it must have been very rudimentary.

Anyone who's listened to those Alice Cooper albums he produced and to The Wall can detect just how much Ezrin contributed to Destroyer. And the band admitted that squarely - like the solo for Detroit Rock City is an example.  According to Paul Stanley, that's all Ezrin. 

Another that strikes me a Ezrin-esque is Flaming Youth - it really isn't hard to imagine Alice singing that one...

Edited by Rain

Simmons gets a lot of hate, but I have come to appreciate the man on some level (although he can be a complete ***** too). 

Who else would close their solo album with such a heartfelt rendition of "When You Wish Upon a Star" when they're supposed to be "evil incarnate", who but a most defiantly self-affirming and ferociously individualist misfit? 

Who would take the most uncool stance of openly condemning drugs and alcohol and make no fuss about their own capitalistic ambitions?

Even in the world of (manufactured) outsiders and rebels, Simmons is an outcast. He gives no F about what a rock star should say or do. As far as I'm concerned, that's   the spirit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rain said:

Simmons gets a lot of hate, but I have come to appreciate the man on some level (although he can be a complete ***** too). 

Who else would close their solo album with such a heartfelt rendition of "When You Wish Upon a Star" when they're supposed to be "evil incarnate", who but a most defiantly self-affirming and ferociously individualist misfit? 

Who would take the most uncool stance of openly condemning drugs and alcohol and make no fuss about their own capitalistic ambitions?

Even in the world of (manufactured) outsiders and rebels, Simmons is an outcast. He gives no F about what a rock star should say or do. As far as I'm concerned, that's   the spirit.

He was a theology major at one time. Later on people found out he was Jewish.

He also use to play a drug lord in Miami Vice. 

BTW do they still do show?  Plenty of old guys still do that.

Yup. Him and Paul Stanley are both Jewish.

Simmons and his mother immigrated from  Israel when he was very young.  In one of his books he speaks of the moment when he discovered public libraries in the US. 

“For the first time in my life, I was in a place where the poorest of the poor and the richest of the rich have the same access to all information for free, on a level playing field. Without censorship. Without book burnings by the Nazis. Without being burned at the stake by those with different religious beliefs. Complete freedom and access to all information, art and culture from around the world.

I promised myself that I would educate myself and that I would never stop educating myself. It was my responsibility to keep learning."

As an immigrant and autodidact, I can appreciate that.

Yeah, they still tour - thy're actually on their (allegedly) last tour ever. Although they do rely on playback quite extensively, and Stanley's voice has been busted for over a decade. But they still put on quite an impressive show.

Edited by Rain

16 hours ago, Grem said:

Will have to check it out.

[Edit] seems book is out of print. I can only find it on Amazon for $200!! Wow!

Yikes! I think it was around $40 back then, and she signed it for my ex and I.

Actually, I believe it was supposed to be some sort of paid for meet and greet but we arrived early and me not being accustomed to that sort of thing, I walked right into that closed off section. People always seem to mistake me for someone important, so no one asked, and she was with friends of ours, so it seemed rather informal, and we just hung out with her and  got the signed book at no extra cost. 

IMG_1098.thumb.jpg.1cd1512bb04debdbc9e6468d33d7fa82.jpg

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1