Tired original alternative rock song

PavlovsCat

Kinda Beatles with the saturated vocal and psychadelic chord changes. Really quite good! Not much to crit, maybe occasionally the high synth line steps on the vocal a little bit, as in 1:18. I loved the organ fill coming in around 1:54, perfect in the mix.

Maybe the vocal could be saturated but also a bit less dry? Is there any reverb or delay on it? It might match the surrounding instruments a bit more? I dunno. It's a really good mix, things sound great. 

Cool song!

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Kinda Beatles with the saturated vocal and psychadelic chord changes. Really quite good! Not much to crit, maybe occasionally the high synth line steps on the vocal a little bit, as in 1:18. I loved the organ fill coming in around 1:54, perfect in the mix.

Maybe the vocal could be saturated but also a bit less dry? Is there any reverb or delay on it? It might match the surrounding instruments a bit more? I dunno. It's a really good mix, things sound great. 

Cool song!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for the kind words and the helpful suggestions. I'm definitely going to try doing different things to the vocal. There's an effect chain on the vocal -- using ezMix. I never even thought about trying to mix the vocal like the rest of the instruments, although they're a bit of a mix. Because they're all sample libraries and I got to around 32 tracks, I wasn't using much in the way of effects  beyond what's built into KONTAKT and I used Guitar Rig on some of the guitar sample libraries. I threw ezMix on the lead vocal, Antares Duo on a duplicate of that and then another instance of ezMix for the harmony vocal on the final chorus. I really don't know much about mixing and used Ozone's AI for mastering.