Isolation / Kashmir Medley - John Lennon / Led Zeppelin Cover

PavlovsCat

I may have posted an earlier mix of this around a year ago, but I'm not certain.

This is the first song I attempted to play last year,  21 years after an injury stopped me from playing professionally as a drummer.  I was joined by a friend on bass guitar. I had originally performed the song in the original key but later changed it and used Cakewalk to transpose the bass part's audio, which had a very odd impact on the timing that I've done my best to correct, but it's not 100 percent. I would be grateful for your opinions and insights, especially with regard to mixing, as I really have very little mixing skills. I relied on Izotope's AI tool in Ozone for mastering. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

I just tweaked the bass part. As I mentioned earlier, it was recorded with my friend playing a bass guitar and after I received it, I decided I could sing the song a lot better in another key and when I used Cakewalk to transpose the audio for the bass part, the timing was slight altered in various places. The most recent SoundCloud file represents me doing my best to cut and move chunks of the bass guitar audio to make it more in time. But I find, if I adjust say, the first measure of the final verse, the rest of the bass part is off, So I settled on a compromise. I'd be interested in feedback on it. The bass performance was actually superb. I also turned up the distorted rhythm guitar part on the bridge, which really drives the section. This was the first song I finished, 21 years after I stopped playing music, so it was a big deal to me. I selected the song because I am a huge fan of The Beatles together and separately, I love the song, it's easy to play and it was relevant at the time, as we were isolated due to the pandemic. As my wife now has COVID-19 and is isolated, I thought it was once again relevant (at least to my family) and I'd go back and fix some issues with this cover.  

Firstly, i think this could be a really really good track - however i do think the mix is a little off - for instance I am finding in the chorus? at .52 seconds the vocals get lost and it all sounds a bit harsh.

With Ozone AI, i think you have to be a little careful. i use Ozone 10 (I think!) to master my demos. I let the AI run, then I normally end up pulling everything back a bit (or a lot!)- especially the limiting, which I find can over squash the final mix and can make it sound a bit harsh.

Cool stuff, really is a good track!

Nigel

• Like 1

I only listened to the first mix, which does not sound to bad here on the Adam's.

I am with Nigel on the use of iZotope's Ozone. Sometime I will run it through there, then adjust everything back to something way more sensible.
If it sounds ridiculous through Ozone I will use Cakewalk's LP EQ and Adaptive limiter to finalise.

Thanks for the feedback @Bajan Blue and @Wookiee.  Beyond trying to declutter the mix at 52 seconds. where should I look for the harshness? Is it in the vocal or another instrument. I'm really reliant on simple tools, that is, I'm really not knowledgeable on mixing or mastering, but if either of you can tell me what instrument or tool I should be working on/with,  I'll go after it. Otherwise,  I use the AI and presets and even used Sonible Balancer to brighten up some parts, which I suspect might cause the harshness.  I think I used it on piano and drums. 

@PavlovsCat I  would avoid any AI stuff if you have little experience with the tools you have, like the basic Pro Channel eq, compressor etc. Learn to use them first.

Personally I only use the Pro Channel and a few FX, like delay, chorus, modulation. Be sparing in all their use. With EQ cut rather than boost. HP & LP filters are your friends when creating space in a mix.

• Thanks 1

No not at all - I was just saying my comment about the chorus getting harsh at 52 seconds was wrong!!

As I said I like the track - think my comments re Ozone is still valid - I always find it over limits and in the new version, the new module(which I can't remember what it's called at the moment) does seem to add a lot of top end, which can lead to some harshness - however still playing with that so perhaps some more experience with it will bring better results

• Thanks 1

Great Cover ! This one somehow slipped by me. I loved the power and overall feel of the middle section. You Nailed it , especially with the phased vocal section. It sounded so good I think I would try a little of the effect on All of the verses. The others were a little quiet. I think the last verse especially needs some boosting and fx.  Loved it ..   Hope your wife recovers soon ..     mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Thanks 1