Recommendation Needed

Grem

Thanks for all the replies. She is not an "audiophile" (not that there's anything wrong with that!). SO I got something from Best Buy. An Audio-Technica turntable, a small Sony receiver,  Sony 5" 3 way speakers, a Sony 10" active subwoofer, a record cleaning set, and three new albums. She should be good to.go for a little while.  

The turntable is Bluetooth.  Which when paired with our Bose Bluetooth Soundbar would have worked fine. But she let me know she didn't want any digital/Bluetooth BS in her turntable. She wanted an "old-fashioned record player" 

So I ordered the other stuff to go along with the turntable.

I will update ya'll with my opinion as to the CD/Vinyl thing. 

I thought this was gonna be easy!!

• Like 2

In my early teens, my folks bought us one of those fold-up phonographs. Fold out the speakers (and remove them, if desired), fold down the turntable and crank it up. It worked well and was plenty loud. Fidelity wasn't a consideration.
While in the living room, my father had a Grundig/Dual system that could shake the building, but never did since he listened to "beautiful music" at whisper-like levels. 😒 That was in the early '70s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

those fold-up phonographs. Fold out the speakers (and remove them, if desired), fold down the turntable

I remember them!! That was a nice setup if you had it. A lot.of the stuff we had was lift the top, stick a record on it, and those rectangle speakers on the side. 

Then we got a good console stereo.  The record player would fold down in the front, and the nice speakers was on each side. Sounded nice. Wasn't allowed to play it. But we did!!

I remember listening to Van Halen's 1984 on my grandfather's console - something that looked a bit like this - and I remember the sound of it vividly. Not an audiophile experience to say the least, but that's all I had access to to play records for a while. 

I also seem to remember it being quite loud.

4e6a3tf94gy41.thumb.jpg.7caf0a4021b74e834802ded3f141928b.jpg

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1