Sustain pedal not working (c64)

Nic

Hi All

My Name is Nic and I'm new to all this!

Obviously I have to Google most of the acronyms (lol) so if you have an answer please keep ot as simple as possible (laymans)

OK so this is my setup....(which took 2 weeks to setup😢😭🤣)

1) Midi keyboard (toneport kb37 from line 6)made in USA!!! 

2) Sustain pedal (Tec*Nics ) bought from music shop and made in China!

3) Laptop Core i5 , windows 10 , Cakewalk from bandlab (latest version).

So I've setup everything mentioned above and all works satisfactory (so far)

My Problem is ...

I plugged my sustain pedal into the pedal port of the Kb37 , but it isn't registering to sustain the notes played ! 

If you know how to remedy this please help out! 🙏 

You can email me directly if you like ....  onlyhvac@gmail.com 

16686180246153616866372325638259.jpg

16686180823395605019102028307632.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
The Toneport is pretty old. Did you find the correct drivers at the Line 6 web site?
I saw this at their Legacy Products page: "1/4-inch expression pedal jack (software-assignable for controlling GearBox wah, volume or sending MIDI to recording programs)".  I don't know if it can be used as a sustain pedal input.
Have you gotten it to work at all with Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rfssongs said:

Have you accidentally changed the polarity switch on the pedal (I can see one in the picture above)

The observation that 57Gregy made is that the jack in question is wired for an expression pedal, not a sustain pedal.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

The observation that 57Gregy made is that the jack in question is wired for an expression pedal, not a sustain pedal.

That doesn't seem right. An expression pedal doesn't look like that, it would look more like a volume pedal. This pedal also seems to have a polarity switch on the side. I can't read the text in the photo but everything about it appears to be a regular sustain pedal to me. If it's a mono (two wire) plug it's a sustain pedal.

1 hour ago, rfssongs said:

That doesn't seem right. An expression pedal doesn't look like that, it would look more like a volume pedal. This pedal also seems to have a polarity switch on the side. I can't read the text in the photo but everything about it appears to be a regular sustain pedal to me. If it's a mono (two wire) plug it's a sustain pedal.

The jack on the Tone Port is the question, and the spec for it that states "expression". The pic of the pedal is a regular sustain pedal.

So apparently the Tone Port only supports expression pedals input, rather than sustain pedals.

16 hours ago, rfssongs said:

From the picture above there is one expression & 2 footswitches. One of these has to be a sustain.

Yeah, you would think one of those could be set for sustain.
"2x 1/4-inch footswitch jacks (software-assignable for sending MIDI commands to recording software (start/stop, punch in/out, etc.)" but I don't know. 

This was updated in 2019, apparently, compatible with W 10.

https://line6.com/software/index.html

On 11/16/2022 at 8:08 PM, 57Gregy said:

Welcome to the forum.
The Toneport is pretty old. Did you find the correct drivers at the Line 6 web site?
I saw this at their Legacy Products page: "1/4-inch expression pedal jack (software-assignable for controlling GearBox wah, volume or sending MIDI to recording programs)".  I don't know if it can be used as a sustain pedal input.

Hey Gregy

yea, being in south africa, your trash is our treasure !

yea everything works fine with the line 6 and cakewalk

but my sustain pedal is my only issue !

so this one guy (Blindeddie) said "Sustain is MIDI CC64, so you need to add the event to the control lane( at the bottom of the pvr), and then draw the sustains (64-127 for Sustain, 0-63 for no sustain) 

So, i need to add a MIDI CC into the PRV (and i dont have a CLUE as how to do that, or test)

regards

nic

On 11/17/2022 at 3:10 AM, abacab said:

The jack on the Tone Port is the question, and the spec for it that states "expression". The pic of the pedal is a regular sustain pedal.

So apparently the Tone Port only supports expression pedals input, rather than sustain pedals.

Yea this would seem to be the case (the support), and yes its only a straight forward sustain pedal.

my challenge now is .... So, i need to add a MIDI CC into the PRV (and i dont have a CLUE as how to do that, or test) OR ...Replace the defult setting of EXP OR FOOTSWITCH in the midi archive to sustain (which currently reads "HOLD"

"Sustain is MIDI CC64, so you need to add the event to the control lane( at the bottom of the pvr), and then draw the sustains (64-127 for Sustain, 0-63 for no sustain) 

Regards

Nic

On 11/17/2022 at 3:10 AM, abacab said:

The one im trying to make work, yes its only a straight forward sustain pedal.

my challenge now is .... So, i need to add a MIDI CC into the PRV (and i dont have a CLUE as how to do that, or test) OR ...Replace the defult setting of EXP OR FOOTSWITCH in the midi archive to sustain (which currently reads "HOLD"

"Sustain is MIDI CC64, so you need to add the event to the control lane( at the bottom of the pvr), and then draw the sustains (64-127 for Sustain, 0-63 for no sustain)

On 11/16/2022 at 9:01 PM, abacab said:

A sustain pedal is like an on/off switch used to hold notes, while an expression pedal is used to control variable parameters.

https://geekmusician.com/using-sustain-pedal-as-expression-pedal/

https://missionengineering.com/understanding-expression-pedals/

The one im trying to make work, yes its only a straight forward sustain pedal.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:50 PM, msmcleod said:

A common reason for CC64 not working is:

my challenge now is .... So, i need to add a MIDI CC (064) into the PRV (and i dont have a CLUE as how to do that, or test) OR ...Replace the default setting of EXP OR FOOTSWITCH in the midi archive to sustain (which currently reads "HOLD")

On 11/17/2022 at 2:05 AM, rfssongs said:

yuup guys ! its a straight forward sustain pedal 

regards

Nic

On 11/16/2022 at 8:08 PM, 57Gregy said:

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks G !

• Like 1

To add sustain to a MIDI track, I use the Staff view, place the cursor where I want the pedal event, click the Pedal button, and click it in. Once it's in, you can move/drag the start and stop times of the event if you want it longer or shorter than the default.

Pedalstaff.jpg

On 11/16/2022 at 9:01 PM, abacab said:

A sustain pedal is like an on/off switch used to hold notes, while an expression pedal is used to control variable parameters.

https://geekmusician.com/using-sustain-pedal-as-expression-pedal/

https://missionengineering.com/understanding-expression-pedals/

The links are good and very informative, problem is that nowhere does it give step by step instruction on how to change and save a new "midi peramiter" setting in cakewalk on how to "activate" or "change" the current setting in cakewalk which says "C 64 .... hold" ...