Sustain pedal not working (c64)

Nic

On 11/16/2022 at 9:50 PM, msmcleod said:

A common reason for CC64 not working is:

Problem is that I need to change and save the default setting in "control" (bottom left in PRV) which currently reads " C 64 ...  Hold" to something like "release" or whatever and I can't figure out how to do it ! 

Basically all I want to do is use my sustain pedal as a straight forward sustain .... and my Kb37 Line 6 doesn't have such a port on the back ! 

So I need to "fool" the software into thinking and or acting as if either of the 3 sockets are sustains ....

On 11/16/2022 at 11:23 PM, rfssongs said:

Have you accidentally changed the polarity switch on the pedal (I can see one in the picture above)

I've tried both settings (no and nc), but it still is not registering .... even plugged into the other sockets (exp and footswitch) ...  problem is not the pedal .... problem I think is 1) Software setting in cakewalk 2) Changing a default midi setting (C64 reading "Hold")  3) compatability of the output sockets (as none say "Sustain") .... 

My guess is that those foot switch inputs are configurable. I don't know if anybody has touched on this earlier but try both inputs & record you hitting the pedal then look at the event list to see what Controller messages record. At least you will know what if anything you are getting. If you get something then look at the manual to see how to configure for CC 64. I am not sure how the expression input even got into this discussion that would be for something else.

10 hours ago, Nic said:

Basically all I want to do is use my sustain pedal as a straight forward sustain .... and my Kb37 Line 6 doesn't have such a port on the back ! 

1 hour ago, rfssongs said:

My guess is that those foot switch inputs are configurable. 

So far the only manual I have found that addresses the KB37 is this manual. It includes the following:

• Line 6 GearBox 3.7 – Using Your Line 6 Hardware
    • TonePort KB37
      • Footswitches - if you want to use one or two on/off toggle or momentary footswitches to remotely control functions in the GearBox software, you can plug the 1/4-inch footswitch plugs into these 1 and 2 jacks. To configure each Footswitch, go to the GearBox Preferences. You can also use these footswitches to trigger recording and playback commands within the included Ableton Live Lite 5 software!
      • Expression Pedal - Connect a 1/4-inch TS expression pedal to control Volume, Wah or any other MIDI CC parameter in GearBox or your recording application. To configure the expression pedal, go to the GearBox preferences .

GearBox 3.7 sounds like it might be configuration software.

GearBox 3.7 is compatible with Mac® OS X® 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard) as well as Windows® XP® SP2 (and later) and Windows® Vista® (32 Bit and 64 Bit) systems*.

Hope this helps.

PS: I have an E-Mu sound module/sequencer from the early 2000s that has several footswitch jacks.  Their assigned function is configurable from the front panel (2 x 24 LCD) as well as through MIDI Sysex commands.  Evidently, you need to go through GearBox 3.7.

I have not found in the Line 6 manual information about switch settings (normally on / normally off). My box does auto detection.  

The two footswitch jacks . . . can be programmed to perform a variety of functions. The footswitch jacks are designed to accept momentary footswitches which connect the tip and ring. [The unit] senses either normally-on or normally-off switches on power-up.

The "polarity" switch on the pedal confuses me because to me polarity implies voltage not the circuits state (normally open/normally closed).  

I think the pedal's switch is marked XC and XO.  Its hard to see.  Perhaps that refers to Closed and Open?

If you had a volt-ohm meter you could test that.  If the keyboard doesn't have auto detect and you can set it the jacks to function as a hold/sustain using GearBox 3.7, you should be able to test it using the switch. Personally, I'd try a VOM first just in case. Also, I'd use either MIDI-OX or CbB's event list to see if the keyboard converts the switch to midi data. 

Hope this helps.

BTW, out of curiosity, does the pedal have a battery or an input for a power supply/wall-wart?

Edited by User 905133
to add additional comments in case they help

Here's a thought if you can't get it configured. Find somebody that has an old (maybe used - cheap) small keyboard that has a sustain in. You can use that for your sustain in at the same time as your other keyboard.

That said it's really hard to believe that the default setting for one of the foot switch inputs would not be sustain. If you haven't done anything on the keyboard you are afraid to loose. Why not try resetting the keyboard to factory default settings.

Edited by rfssongs

On 11/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, Nic said:

Hi All

My Name is Nic and I'm new to all this!

Obviously I have to Google most of the acronyms (lol) so if you have an answer please keep ot as simple as possible (laymans)

OK so this is my setup....(which took 2 weeks to setup😢😭🤣)

1) Midi keyboard (toneport kb37 from line 6)made in USA!!! 

2) Sustain pedal (Tec*Nics ) bought from music shop and made in China!

3) Laptop Core i5 , windows 10 , Cakewalk from bandlab (latest version).

So I've setup everything mentioned above and all works satisfactory (so far)

My Problem is ...

I plugged my sustain pedal into the pedal port of the Kb37 , but it isn't registering to sustain the notes played ! 

If you know how to remedy this please help out! 🙏 

You can email me directly if you like ....  onlyhvac@gmail.com 

16686180246153616866372325638259.jpg

16686180823395605019102028307632.jpg

16688871143484963734484211916518.jpg