Korg Nano Kontrol 1 as Mod Wheel in Cake

Steve Patrick

Let's go way back in time shall we?  Late last year I finally replaced my very old but still great Alesis QS8.1 that I was using as my studio keyboard controller with a lighter, better sounding Yamaha digital 88 weighted keys piano (which has the usual keys, organs and strings).  It works fine but when I recently purchased a new brass library from 8DIO which utilizes the mod wheel for timbre changes I remembered...Hey...I don't have one of those anymore.  Doh.

But rummaging around the studio I found and old Korg Nano Kontrol (the original one).  I plugged it up and added it to Cake's midi devices, downloaded and installed the Korg editor, set the first knob and slider to CC#0 (which I think is Mod Wheel)...and that where I'm stuck. It's been so long since I've added any kind of controller to Cake I don't remember how to do it.

Can someone hip me or point me to where I can git-er-done???

As long as it's listed in the midi devices & selected as active then you can choose all external inputs and it should work. Alternatively you can put it on a separate track if you want more control of it, if you change your inputs accordingly. Sometimes I add CC after the initial take.

BTW: I have found I can't use the NanoKontrol editor & cakewalk at the same time. I am not sure if there is a way around that.