Cbb Noise reduction Analyzer

sadicus

I think it's still possible to add an external audio editor like Audacity to Cakewalk.  But it seems to involve messing with the Windows Registry.  Here's a link to an old forum topic on how to do this.

Caveat:  I haven't done this myself yet with CbB, although I do remember doing this "back in the day" with Cakewalk and CoolEdit (anyone remember that?) and it worked as expected.  These days if I want to use Audacity for some audio in a CbB project, I just edit the audio file in Audacity outside of Cakewalk.

It would be really nice if CbB had an easy way in the UI to add an external audio editor, so that audio clips could be right clicked and edited without leaving Cakewalk.  But I guess there isn't much call for this functionality.

1 hour ago, Eric S. said:

I think it's still possible to add an external audio editor like Audacity to Cakewalk.  But it seems to involve messing with the Windows Registry.  Here's a link to an old forum topic on how to do this.

Caveat:  I haven't done this myself yet with CbB, although I do remember doing this "back in the day" with Cakewalk and CoolEdit (anyone remember that?) and it worked as expected.  These days if I want to use Audacity for some audio in a CbB project, I just edit the audio file in Audacity outside of Cakewalk.

Practically any file may be added to the Tools section of the CbB Utilities menu. One can either edit the registry by hand or use the free Tools Editor from this post 

For a tool to act as a wave editor in CbB, the tool must accept a wave file on the command line. In In the past, this was a problem for Audacity.  There are quite a few free and paid audio editors that do work though.

1 hour ago, Eric S. said:

It would be really nice if CbB had an easy way in the UI to add an external audio editor, so that audio clips could be right clicked and edited without leaving Cakewalk.  But I guess there isn't much call for this functionality.

In this case, an external audio editor is no different than the plug-in manager, VST scanner or any other freestanding executable launched by the DAW. Recently editors started to appear such as ARA plug-ins such SpectraLayers. Because plug-ins are actually loaded by CbB, unlike external programs, plug-ins appear much more integrated into the program. I am not aware of a regular wave editor implemented as an ARA plug-in. 

Directly editing project wave files with an external editor is not advisable and can result in a corrupted project. When using an external editor, calling the editor from the CbB utilities menus is the better approach as the clip is copied out and back into the project, adjusting info in the project as needed.

WRT noise reduction:

REAFIR is a free FFT tool which is similar to a lot of the tools that use noise capture to clean up audio.

For fee, iZotope RX Elements is an inexpensive way to get into the RX series which provides a plug-in which may be used in CbB for noise reduction. It's standalone editor also works in CbB like any other audio editor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, scook said:

Directly editing project wave files with an external editor is not advisable and can result in a corrupted project.

Thanks Skook!  I think I've done this before (with Cakewalk closed) and it's worked, but I guess I've just been lucky.

And thanks for the link to your CbB Tools utility!  Very generous of you to make that available! 

13 minutes ago, Eric S. said:
45 minutes ago, scook said:

Directly editing project wave files with an external editor is not advisable and can result in a corrupted project.

Thanks Skook!  I think I've done this before (with Cakewalk closed) and it's worked, but I guess I've just been lucky.

You are not alone. I am sure there are quite a few that have editing project clips like this before, and it works most of the time. However, some metadata about audio clips are stored in the project. When using an external editor this data is preserved using the tool copy process. Direct editing clips does not update the project and can result in the clip data getting out of sync with the project. 

If you are going to continue direct editing, keep a copy of the original clip(s) just in case.

• Like 2