Unify Updated to 1.9

cclarry

Unify 1.9 a FREE UPDATE is now available! With Native Apple Silicon support and an amazingly powerful new MIDI Effect included called CC Rider.

With CC Rider you can modulate UNLIMITED parameters in ANY Plug-ins your patch has loaded - with a custom waveshape of your design. For example, change synth parameters in Serum while changing distortion settings and reverb settings - ALL FROM ONE CC RIDER! You can now build your own MEGA synth with your favorite audio effects instead of using the lackluster effects found in most software synths.

This update truly glues everything we've worked 2 years on together into a version of Unify that opens doors to unlimited creativity WITH PLUGINS you already own. Unify comes with 640 patches created by some of the best patch designers in the world before even scanning your plug-ins.

This is a FREE UPDATE and Unify is still $79. Log into your PlugInGuru.com account to find the files to download or get the updaters for 1.9 here:

https://www.ilio.com/dl-unify

Enjoy and thank you as always for your support!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 5:50 AM, cclarry said:

With CC Rider you can modulate UNLIMITED parameters in ANY Plug-ins your patch has loaded - with a custom waveshape of your design. For example, change synth parameters in Serum while changing distortion settings and reverb settings - ALL FROM ONE CC RIDER!

Ran across this short video from Skippy demonstrating Unify 1.9.

The new modulation abilities look impressive! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:50 AM, cclarry said:

With CC Rider you can modulate UNLIMITED parameters in ANY Plug-ins your patch has loaded - with a custom waveshape of your design. For example, change synth parameters in Serum while changing distortion settings and reverb settings - ALL FROM ONE CC RIDER! You can now build your own MEGA synth with your favorite audio effects instead of using the lackluster effects found in most software synths.

13 minutes ago, abacab said:

Ran across this short video from Skippy demonstrating Unify 1.9.

Looks interesting. Do I understand it correctly? A single LFO set up to output MIDI CC data is being used to do different things with different ranges for different parameters in different plug-ins?  

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Do I understand it correctly? A single LFO set up to output MIDI CC data is being used to do different things with different ranges for different parameters in different plug-ins?  

If you watch the video, he walks through how to set it up in detail.

The key takeaway is that CC Rider is a MIDI plugin that you insert on a layer with just one instance of Unify. Then you embed another instance of Unify in that initial Unify instance to then build up your patch with any instruments or effects that you wish. The CC Rider in the top layer can be used to modulate the macro knobs (CCs) in the sub (embedded) layer.

Since MIDI effects must precede the instruments whose MIDI data is effected, that is a neat trick placing it at the top of the stack, where it can be used to modulate any CC # for any plugin, or multiple plugins, in the sub layer.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the reply.  Since I don't have Unify and have no plans to get it (unless there is a ridiculously low "no-brainer" deal coming up somewhere), I wasn't interested in all of the the details of how to set it up in Unify. But I will finish watching the end in case there are some things I missed.

I was interested in feedback to make sure I had distilled the basic function correctly.  As you know, I use Voltage Modular as an FX processor. I also use it as a VSTi host for multiple software synths and have applied CV's to multiple hosted plug-ins. 

However, the video gave me the idea to route MIDI knobs from my Proteus 2500 into VM in such a way as to specifically control LFO's which in turn modify different parameters in different plug-ins in different ways.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Since MIDI effects must precede the instruments whose MIDI data is effected, that is a neat trick placing it at the top of the stack, where it can be used to modulate any CC # for any plugin, or multiple plugins, in the sub layer.

I have used the P2500 to control both VM modules and hosted plug-ins. So my thought was to use the knobs [MIDI DATA] to control LFO parameters [via MIDI to CV] for starters to control multiple hosted soft synths via exposed parameters.

From what you described, it sounds like Unify does something a bit different, though I should be able to get some similar results. Later on I can look into the possibility of sending MIDI data out to control to control plug-ins hosted in Cakewalk. Not sure I can do that.

Again, thanks for the comments; they help clarify a few things for me. 

For people that already have Unify, I think this new feature should be amazing!

Edited by User 905133
edits

4 hours ago, User 905133 said:

the video gave me the idea to route MIDI knobs from my Proteus 2500 into VM in such a way as to specifically control LFO's which in turn modify different parameters in different plug-ins in different ways.

Cool beans! I wish that my Roland JV-1080 had as many knobs as that Proteus does! You could easily control macros on several plugins with that!

It appears that both Unify and Voltage Modular plugins have MIDI out capability, so need to do some MIDI CC experiments! :)

Edit: I may have spoken too soon. Even though Unify does present a MIDI output to Cakewalk, I cannot find any way to route MIDI data out of the plugin itself... unless I am overlooking something. 🙄

Here's the MIDI signal flow diagram for Unify, for inquiring minds:

https://pluginguru.net/unify/manual/doku.php?id=midi-details

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 1

On 11/1/2022 at 10:40 AM, User 905133 said:

Do I understand it correctly? A single LFO set up to output MIDI CC data is being used to do different things with different ranges for different parameters in different plug-ins?  

On 11/1/2022 at 12:49 PM, User 905133 said:

I have used the P2500 to control both VM modules and hosted plug-ins. So my thought was to use the knobs [MIDI DATA] to control LFO parameters [via MIDI to CV] for starters to control multiple hosted soft synths via exposed parameters.

On 11/1/2022 at 12:49 PM, User 905133 said:

Later on I can look into the possibility of sending MIDI data out to control to control plug-ins hosted in Cakewalk. Not sure I can do that.** [emphasis added]

**Its off topic here, but I just wanted to report back very briefly on the last point--sending MIDI data out from VM from within CbB to control plug-ins hosted in CbB. I am now sure it can be done.  For example, LFO, EG+VCA, etc. controlling several parameters in different soft synths via CCs.  It's more work setting it up than using Unify, though, but it can be done.  Thanks to @cclarry and @abacab for the inspiration to give this a try!!

Edited by User 905133
to remove extra CR/LFs at the end of the post

22 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

**Its off topic here, but I just wanted to report back very briefly on the last point--sending MIDI data out from VM from within CbB to control plug-ins hosted in CbB. I am now sure it can be done.  For example, LFO, EG+VCA, etc. controlling several parameters in different soft synths via CCs.  It's more work setting it up than using Unify, though, but it can be done.  Thanks to @cclarry and @abacab for the inspiration to give this a try!!

And a point to takeaway here is that with CCRider you can modulate CC parameters of other instruments and FX hosted WITHIN Unify.

But as @User 905133 has pointed out, his Voltage Modular solution allows you to send MIDI data to control another plugin in the DAW. Based on my testing, in order to send a MIDI CC to control another plugin hosted in the DAW outside of Unify would require a different approach from what is currently possible with Unify.

I cannot see any way to route MIDI data out from Unify, even though the DAW indicates that the Unify plugin has a MIDI out port present. Perhaps it's there for future use?

Edited by abacab