ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3060 Ti now on sale for $479.99 on Amazon

Olong Johnson

9 hours ago, antler said:

Might the extra onboard RAM on higher-end cards help in this respect? (Sorry if it's a stupid question - don't know much about video editing)

Yes. More and faster.

According to the people who make the video editing software, the more RAM you have on your graphics card the better. You can do 4K with a card that has 2G but the recommendation for 4K is 4G or more.

An operation where those CUDA cores shine with video work is when you go to render. nVidia's higher-end cards have an onboard hardware CODEC for this kind of rendering. As with all things like this, it depends on the makers of the video editing software to take advantage of this. nVidia promote it via their NVENC developers' kit.

For strictly DAW use, when I used the onboard graphics of my i7-3770, things in the Multidock would take just a little bit longer to Initially appear if I had it on monitor 2. When I was able to switch back to a card with 2G of GDDR, that went away.

I experience smoother playback of full screen video on monitor 2 with the more capable cards, and I imagine that if I were using a DAW to do scoring, that would also be true.

Having said all this, for video and DAW use, I don't know that there would be a noticeable difference between the latest GTX 3060 and a previous generation high end card. But if you are building a cost-no-object future-resistant rocket sled, why not go with the absolute top model and not even have to think about whether a single Windows program will run on your system, regardless of "system requirements?"

• Like 1

I recently got a laptop with an RTX 3050. While a laptop 3050 is as half performant as a desktop 3060, it can still handle AAA games at 1080p with high settings.

However, the smallest AAA game today eats up 100 GB of space. That's too much of a compromise for me.

Ryzen's integrated GPU would be more than enough to play awesome indie games or a bit older AAA titles. It could also handle extra screen very well.

For video editing with Davinci Resolve you DO want a GPU with plenty of memory

• HD: 4GB VRAM
  • 4K: 8GB VRAM
  • 6K-8K: 20GB VRAM

https://motionarray.com/learn/davinci-resolve/davinci-resolve-system-requirements/

For smaller budgets some of the recent "enthusiast entry" level cards meet/surpass the requirements for 4k (e.g., RTX 3060), or a 2nd hand flagship card from an older generation (e.g., a Maxwell or Kepler Titan) is also a good choice, but trying to use a low cost card is probably not a good idea

On 9/11/2022 at 2:40 AM, daveiv said:

I recently got a laptop with an RTX 3050. While a laptop 3050 is as half performant as a desktop 3060, it can still handle AAA games at 1080p with high settings.

However, the smallest AAA game today eats up 100 GB of space. That's too much of a compromise for me.

Ryzen's integrated GPU would be more than enough to play awesome indie games or a bit older AAA titles. It could also handle extra screen very well.

I find myself playing games at least a decade old.  Some of the longer running franchise games do not require boutique hardware to run. 

• Great Idea 1