Inported .wav file doesn't align correctly with original project

Sven

Msmcleod was nice enough to point out that the Ctrl+PgUp shortcut key goes back one measure in a project. 

The reason I was asking about that is that a friend recently added a guitar solo to my song using an exported .mp3 mix I created.  That mix of the project was using a 44.1/24 sampling rate.  Later, his imported .wav guitar solo seemed to line up exactly one measure earlier than when my solo marker starts.  He said the problem might have been because he was using a different sampling rate on his side.   Could that cause this problem?

Today  I tried importing a second solo he did which he had recorded using 44.1/24  sampling rate just like mine.  This one actually lined up even earlier than the first one and doesn't seem to even align to a specific measure's down beat.

I'm looking for any insights on what would cause this problem.  My export went as an .mp3 file.  He's sending me back a .wav file.  We've done this exercise successfully before so I'd like to know what one of is doing to make it not work now.

Thanks.

I found that my import time stamp option is turned off.

Andres Medina, did you find that you had sync problems importing from Protools with this on and then solved them by un-checking this box?  

Since my check box is off already I'm not sure if that's the problem.  I've asked my friend to check his export settings and even try to re-import what he's sending me into his own Protools project to see if that works.  He seems to be able to play along with my export mix just fine.  

The  problem starts when he exports and I then import his guitar parts into Sonar on my side.  If there are any other suggestion on what might be causing this problem I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:58 AM, Sven said:

My export went as an .mp3 file.  He's sending me back a .wav file.

When sharing with others, always use wav files. DAWs have to convert mp3s into wavs which may result in the timing not being exactly the same as your original project.

This would not account for an offset of an entire measure though. Different sample rates would not either. Usually, broadcast waves end up far down the timeline, not just a measure off and not early.

There are two ways to avoid sync issues, broadcast waves or always starting clips at 0.

As said above always export your stems or rough mix using the “Entire Project “ time setting so tracks are always starting at zero. With the fast speed of the internet these day you can certainly upload and download stereo 44.1/16 wave files easily. 
You friend should send back the stem the same way, starting at zero , but I would be using at least 44.1/24 or better. 

5 hours ago, Sven said:

I found that my import time stamp option is turned off.

Andres Medina, did you find that you had sync problems importing from Protools with this on and then solved them by un-checking this box?  

Since my check box is off already I'm not sure if that's the problem.  I've asked my friend to check his export settings and even try to re-import what he's sending me into his own Protools project to see if that works.  He seems to be able to play along with my export mix just fine.  

The  problem starts when he exports and I then import his guitar parts into Sonar on my side.  If there are any other suggestion on what might be causing this problem I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

Sven, check the responses above to solve your sync problem.

I do the same: export/import all tracks having a selection starting point on zero (beginning of the project), regardless of the position of the clip in your timeline. I ask the Protools guy to do the same when sending me audios.

For non-sync clips, I just move the clip to the position I want (or double click the audio clip, or go to Clip Properties, and type 0 in "start", to put the clip at the very beggining of the timeline ) - see pic.

Screenshot_1.png

• Like 1