Plugin Doctor - plugin analyzer

jesse g

4 hours ago, jesse g said:

I just wished you named some of those bad plugins you were testing. 

Honestly, it was over three years ago and I can't be absolutely certain, but I think one of them was the BBE Sonic Maximizer. I don't think I bought it, since even though I wasn't sure exactly what it did I was already pretty sure it was snake oil. It is.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, treesha said:

Would this be useful for compression or just eq? 

I found it illuminating on a range of effects, including compression but mostly for distortion plugins, from amp sims to exciters to console emulators. Some of those do far less than their marketing material would suggest. Some do more, e.g. add aliasing.

For EQs, it can show you the real spectral curve so you can tell if the plugin's own display is accurate (FabFilter Q3 and iZotope Ozone, for example, are spot-on), or reveal what EQs are doing that don't have a spectral display. In the latter case, there are some filters and "enhancers" out there that simply don't want you to know what they're doing because you'd be disappointed if you knew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Honestly, it was over three years ago and I can't be absolutely certain, but I think one of them was the BBE Sonic Maximizer. I don't think I bought it, since even though I wasn't sure exactly what it did I was already pretty sure it was snake oil. It is.

Not the BBE Sonic Maximizer!!!! say it ain't so Bitflipper,  say it ain't so.  I used to love that plugin.  I still have it in my arsenal,  but haven't used it in a while .  😭😭  😭 

Edited by jesse g

9 hours ago, jackson white said:

I was looking at this (like I don't already have enough on my plate...)

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/aum-guitars-vibraslide

this looks really cool. like a funky modernized e-bow. could come up with some really cool sound design ideas with this if you layer on effects..

Edited by telecode 101
  • Great Idea 1