Where's that D coming from?

Mark Bastable

Question

Has anyone ever experienced the phenomenon of a midi track playing a note that just isn't there?

I've deleted everything in the measure - no velocities showing in the lower pane - and still, when I send it to a VST piano, it plays a note.

I've also, as an experiment, copied the apparently blank measure to another bar, and it plays there too.

I mean, I guess I could live with it, but it's not even in the right key. It's driving me nuts.

Edited by Mark Bastable

9 answers to this question

Experience with this is telling me there's an underlying "D" underneath the original clip. Exit the PRV and locate the section where you hear the "D" note and zoom in on the clip in the track view state. Highlight the focused clip and temporarily delete it to check if the "D" note reveals itself. 

If there's nothing: Try to record that piece over on a new instance on a separate track and delete the old track. Do not copy and paste things over to this newly created track. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
Typing errors.

Other things to check:

1.  Have you got any articulations that have a D key switch? If so, check the MIDI channel of the articulation is correct.
2.  Have you got another synth with their MIDI output enabled that could be routing to that synth?
3. Within Preferences->Project->Metronome, have you got it set to use a MIDI note?

19 minutes ago, chimkin2 said:

This happened to me once before and it was eventually discovered to be another VSTi in the project that was outputting midi and triggering other instruments - so as MSMcleod says it might be worth going into the synth rack and disabling everything

But then it would be triggered to play the entire measure of the problematic region. I'm not saying it isn't so - but, it would play the same melody as is through the other Vsti too and not just a "D" note. I run into this from time-to-time too. 

That's easily detectable and an easy fix. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

3 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

But then it would be triggered to play the entire measure of the problematic region. I'm not saying it isn't so - but, it would play the same melody as is through the other Vsti too and not just a "D" note. I run into this from time-to-time too. 

Yes same melody or chords would be triggered in this case. But when it happened to me it was an articulation command not an actual note that was part of the musical performance causing the phantom playing☺️

So could be heard as a " stuck  " note in another track even though it was entirely inaudible in the other. Switching everything else off in the Synth Rack will rule that one out for certain.

We cannot be sure. It could even be a poltergeist 👀...or a stuck key on the controller...many things are possible ... it's just a process of elimination really.

4 hours ago, chimkin2 said:

It could even be a poltergeist 👀

😂😅 I had those too before. Had to delete that entire project. Fix something and then another problem occurs somewhere. I'm dealing with an issue at the moment. 

Not a big issue though. It comes and goes. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

I tried out the suggestions given, but the results were inconclusive. As far as I can tell, and I may be wrong about this, some kind of weird harmonic has come in from the audio-to-midi conversion and it is triggering something I can't see.

I have no idea if that makes sense. I don't think it does, logically. 

Anyway, I got really frustrated and started again. And played it better anyway.

Thank you all. As always, the support here is both fascinating and friendly. That's not as usual on forums as it ought to be.

• Like 1