PA Summer Sale - June 5 & 6 - $20 Voucher

cclarry

3 New Deals Added
+ $20 Surprise Voucher for You!

HOT SEASON, HOT DEALS!
During the Summer Sale, we'll send you 38 (!) individual checkout codes for ALL of our specials. Copy & paste these individual checkout codes to knock down the prices!

TEMPERATURES RISE, PRICES DROP!
For the best deals in June, please use your checkout codes! Just copy/paste these codes during the payment process, one by one.

SUMMER-SALE-20OFF
(No Minimum Spend)

Use this voucher during checkout – Code can only be used 1x (once).
Feel free to share the code with your friends!

bx_console SSL 9000 J
The Unmistakable Sound of the SSL 9000 J. Injected with patented Tolerance Modeling Technology (TMT). Approved by Solid State Logic & Michael Brauer!

$349 $99.99
Plus local VAT taxes if required*
Save 71% with your checkout code:

SUMMER21-9000J
Copy/paste this code during checkout!

bx_console SSL 4000 G
Officially approved by SSL. 72 different channels of 4000 G console sound with proportional Q! Injected with patented Tolerance Modeling Technology (TMT).

$349 $49.99
Save 86% with your checkout code:

SUMMER21-4000G

bx_townhouse Buss Comp
The perfect master buss compressor for all TMT consoles. Made from famous console parts!

$299 $49.99
Save 83% with your checkout code:

SUMMER21-TOWN

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products.html

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

Not seeing a lot of great applications for this 20 off. Some good Lindell deals, but I’ve got  pretty much all their stuff. Thinking about grabbing the UA Instant Delay for a 9er.

Me either...they're going to have to do something major to get me to buy...

• Like 1

Are there supposed to be some fundamental differences between all these console versions? If there are, I'd wager to guess they're nothing to concern myself with, i.e. these bits of marketing BS are not aimed towards me but some analog gear folks. So the only question is; do these things serve a purpose?

I used Mixbus 32C v4 for some time, and although as a DAW it was a disaster, there was something about the channel strip that made mixing more fun and my music sound better. I swear.

How do I get that sound without installing the trainwreck called Mixbus? Is it plugins like these Brainworx consoles?

Better yet, how do I get the sound without buying anything... Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, sarine said:

Are there supposed to be some fundamental differences between all these console versions? If there are, I'd wager to guess they're nothing to concern myself with, i.e. these bits of marketing BS are not aimed towards me but some analog gear folks. So the only question is; do these things serve a purpose?

I used Mixbus 32C v4 for some time, and although as a DAW it was a disaster, there was something about the channel strip that made mixing more fun and my music sound better. I swear.

How do I get that sound without installing the trainwreck called Mixbus? Is it plugins like these Brainworx consoles?

Right now the only aftermarket Harrison 32C Console Strip is with UAD, and you have to have 
the UAD Hardware to run it...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Right now the only aftermarket Harrison 32C Console Strip is with UAD, and you have to have 
the UAD Hardware to run it...

You mean this? https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/equalizers/harrison-32c.html

It's only the equalizer, and I'm not sure exactly what in Mixbus 32C worked "the magic," but I was hoping maybe these other analog-emulating channel strips would do something similar.

The DSP cards are too expensive until I'm convinced their plugins would blow my mind. I think it's highly unlikely their DSP is somehow out of this world, so the real benefit would be in offloading some processing.

1 minute ago, sarine said:

You mean this? https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/equalizers/harrison-32c.html

It's only the equalizer, and I'm not sure exactly what in Mixbus 32C worked "the magic," but I was hoping maybe these other analog-emulating channel strips would do something similar.

The DSP cards are too expensive until I'm convinced their plugins would blow my mind. I think it's highly unlikely their DSP is somehow out of this world, so the real benefit would be in offloading some processing.

It's the 32C Eq's that are the "magic" along with Harrison's Analog summing.
UAD plugins are really nice...and they do sound better, and the CPU offload is a bonus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cclarry said:

It's the 32C Eq's that are the "magic" along with Harrison's Analog summing.
UAD plugins are really nice...and they do sound better, and the CPU offload is a bonus

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Regarding summing, I have no idea how to approach emulating whatever happens on the analog console during signals mixing, but I've heard this before so perhaps it's something to investigate. If I ever figure it out I'll share my findings program another channel strip and call Dirk.

• Great Idea 1

Summing is the "way" that all the Channel Strips on the Console are "combined" down
to the Master Channel,  and how that summing effects the overall "sound" of what's being
mixed.  A Typical Studio Analog Desk has "Analog Summing", and this effects the Mix Sound.
The SSL E Boards have been used on countless hits, as have the Neve N, the SSL G, and the 
SSL J, as well as the API and the Harrison.  They each do "their thing" in Analog, and the 
Plugins do their best to emulate that "Sonic Characteristic of the Analog Board"

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, sarine said:

If Cakewalk still comes with the ProChannel module that's based on Overloud's TapeDesk (can't remember what it's called), you can use that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe the Pro Channel still has the  console emulator available also, if you're looking for "Console" without "Spending"

It has the SSL E, Neve N, and Trident A modes

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sarine said:

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Regarding summing, I have no idea how to approach emulating whatever happens on the analog console during signals mixing, but I've heard this before so perhaps it's something to investigate. If I ever figure it out I'll share my findings program another channel strip and call Dirk.

They have fully functioning demos.

Each sounds different from the EQs to the Compressors as well as the Saturation of the THD in the desk.  

Some people like getting used to working with the single set of controls for all sources across a mix and the efficiency it can provide, others hate the limitations.  THis is one of those things I think you have to try and decide for yourself.

The Console N for example is an interestign one as the settings/knobs are in many respects backwards to a traditional layout.  

As for something similar - well there is the prochannel which you can setup console emulation, the Quad EQ to have a particular shape, and there is a compresson module.   But they also don't over the Non-Liniearity the PA ones promise and the whole thing just doesn't end up feeling like a console from a workflow perspective.  

Also on the "free" front, check our Airwindows Console 7 channel and Console 7 buss and Channel9

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Summing is the "way" that all the Channel Strips on the Console are "combined" down
to the Master Channel,  and how that summing effects the overall "sound" of what's being
mixed.  A Typical Studio Analog Desk has "Analog Summing", and this effects the Mix Sound.
The SSL E Boards have been used on countless hits, as have the Neve N, the SSL G, and the 
SSL J, as well as the API and the Harrison.  They each do "their thing" in Analog, and the 
Plugins do their best to emulate that "Sonic Characteristic of the Analog Board"

Ah yes, I have actually built a small utility mixer using some passive components and op-amps, so I'm a bit embarrassed that I've never really thought about this in depth.

I found this video: Audio Summing Explained

It's pretty bad.

To be honest the analog summing sounds a lot better, and the reason for that is because... Every piece of audio is going through all this different circuitry. There's a lot more circuitry involved, and generally when you're dealing with high-quality audio gear, the more circuits it hits, the better it sounds. Because that creates saturation, and it creates warmth, and the harmonics in the recorded information is going through analog circuitry and that's responsible for that analog sound that a lot of us love.

The differences I hear are that the analog summing has more depth which means you hear things further back, like deep reverbs sound like they're further away, there's more space, and the width is like dramatically different. The stereo image on an analog mix sounds way bigger, where the left side sounds further left, the right side sounds further right. So it's like a bigger spectrum of audio, and it's like a more interesting sonic world.

That's gibberish! The more circuits it hits, the better it sounds??

However, the part about adding saturation and warmth (are they different?) is probably close to truth. Basically the whole circuitry acts as a collection of filters, but unlike in DSP the "result" is not so strictly deterministic and all kinds of strangeness is happening to the signals (frequency, phase, amplitude) along the way. I'd really like to be able to emulate that with what I already have.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sarine said:

Ah yes, I have actually built a small utility mixer using some passive components and op-amps, so I'm a bit embarrassed that I've never really thought about this in depth.

I found this video: Audio Summing Explained

It's pretty bad.

That's gibberish! The more circuits it hits, the better it sounds??

However, the part about adding saturation and warmth (are they different?) is probably close to truth. Basically the whole circuitry acts as a collection of filters, but unlike in DSP the "result" is not so strictly deterministic and all kinds of strangeness is happening to the signals (frequency, phase, amplitude) along the way. I'd really like to be able to emulate that with what I already have.

It is unlikley you have any plugins that are the same effect but have different tollerences in each instance unless you already have one of these PA tools, part of the question is it even noticable enough to care?  Some of that depth, space and interest I think I can get out of some other tools with some Mid-Side, Saturation, and Stereo Expanders, and tape emulation.  Realisticaly, I end up using some of all of it in a production.  

Also - maybe demo the Focurite SC PA plugin to start out with, you can pick up a copy of that for about $15 from some resellers that sell their code they got from a hardware purchase.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1