Jump to content
Marcello

Can someone tell me if this drums mix sounds good to you?

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

I'm not a drummer or a pro sound engineer, I'm a guitar player, and I have made the drums track with NI Studio Drummer programming plugin, now I'm not sure how a good "real" drums should sound.

Here's a sample of my drums track, could someone please tell me how it sounds to you? is it enough realistic?  What should I improve?  Is it too dry or unbound, or too much reverb? 

I guess not being a drummer doesn't help me, I would need an advice from a drummer or someone who recorded drums for a while and knows how real drums should sound in a good pro mix, thanks a lot!
Ah I specify I don't want my drums to sound metal, neither jazz or low fi, I'm playing post rock so big deep sound and quite modern feel would be just fine, generally like this I like it.
Here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RQGt9G9j9w57yjemvS9xwZOMulmt35zX/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Marcello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, hard to tell without context. Sounds like you need to bring the overheads with the cymbals down a bit, though. Also, I'd definitely center the kick instead of having a wide stereo kick.  Also it seems like the high-hat is getting lost in the cymbals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Yes, hard to tell without context. Sounds like you need to bring the overheads with the cymbals down a bit, though. Also, I'd definitely center the kick instead of having a wide stereo kick.  Also it seems like the high-hat is getting lost in the cymbals.

Thanks for the advice, consider there is no Hihat in this drum part at all, maybe just ones in a while. Btw to me the cymbals volume here is a bit lower than the kick and the snare, should be less?

Here's the whole song preview for you, it's already mastered but not definitive, I have to record it with a real bass here I use a shifter for guitar plugin.

I know there is too much reverb on the distorted part on guitars which I already removed btw.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VcY4ISXdpF7N_I0RFO9SGCxiSrJ162r1/view?usp=sharing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Yes, hard to tell without context. Sounds like you need to bring the overheads with the cymbals down a bit, though. Also, I'd definitely center the kick instead of having a wide stereo kick.  Also it seems like the high-hat is getting lost in the cymbals.

Not sure what you mean with center the kick ? it's not panned left or right, it's in the center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kick and snare should be around the same level. The kick is too loud in the mix anyway. That's my opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, fitzj said:

Kick and snare should be around the same level. The kick is too loud in the mix anyway. That's my opinion

I based myself on a record I like, and since I will have the bass quite high in volume, it will partially eat the kick so I raised it a bit. I can put down the volume a bit anyway. Thanks a lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just be honest- it sounds like a 5 year old kids first attempt at drumming  with all those crashes :) in this world there are no rules but as far as a normal pop / rock mix goes there's just too much wrong with that. .   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I'll just be honest- it sounds like a 5 year old kids first attempt at drumming  with all those crashes :) in this world there are no rules but as far as a normal pop / rock mix goes there's just too much wrong with that. .   

Ah thanks a lot for the honesty! Indeed as I said I'm not a drummer, I just needed a drummer telling me this sucks! :D

Anyway I don't do normal pop  rock, I make Post-Rock, Post-hardcore stuff, so quite different style. So if you were imagining a normal zumpappazumpappazumpappa  with a crash once in a while that's not my thing.

But you are not referring to the crash volume right? I suppose you are referring to the way it's played, less crashes? I did put lots of crashes in the chaotic part, to make it sound a bit more chaotic, too much maybe? Have you heard  the solo drum part or the whole song with the other instruments?

Usually in very slow parts I keep the tempo with crashes or ride, to feel that emptiness between a kick and a snare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see the post with the whole song sorry, In context with the song the drums sounded a lot better.  Mostly because the guitars drown them out but that's not a bad thing. You have some great guitar parts. Its an interesting sound scape you obviously put a lot of work into it. Keep it up. 

PS- This kind of belongs in the song forum? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Vere said:

I didn't see the post with the whole song sorry, In context with the song the drums sounded a lot better.  Mostly because the guitars drown them out but that's not a bad thing. You have some great guitar parts. Its an interesting sound scape you obviously put a lot of work into it. Keep it up. 

PS- This kind of belongs in the song forum? 

Thanks! Well I made everything on my own,  with just a pc, an audio interface and a guitar, that’s it.

I have anyway did some more EQ to my drum tracks, decreased the cymbals and I put the hihat higher.

I will check the song forum then.

Edited by Marcello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI:)

 

I can confirm some other posts, Bass Drum to loud and for my taste too much at about 300 Hz. 

Then I can see that the left Channel is about 35 milliseconds after the right Channel. Don't think this is meant to be....

Cymbals are too loud too for my taste, but this should be heard in Context with the other Instruments!

 

Greetz:)

Bassman.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

HI:)

 

I can confirm some other posts, Bass Drum to loud and for my taste too much at about 300 Hz. 

Then I can see that the left Channel is about 35 milliseconds after the right Channel. Don't think this is meant to be....

Cymbals are too loud too for my taste, but this should be heard in Context with the other Instruments!

35 Millisecons after? what? this is strange, how can be possible?

53 minutes ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

HI:)

 

In this song there's less 300 Hz and a lot of in the highs at about 4 Khz (A Metal (foot) drum stick I think). At the beginning it's very hollow, just the Outside Mic and played very soft....

 

For the Wave File: This is what I see for the left and right (stereo file from your first link). Should be about 35 milliseconds or perhaps more. I've not looked exactly....

1636215479_LeftRightversetzt.thumb.jpg.6e49ab706bddbe499ae7c122ff634519.jpg

Perhaps this is a kind of Pseudostereo. Which Drumsynth do you use?

 

Bassman.

 

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you do that? 
I use NI Studio Drummer plugin for drums programming. It is stereo indeed, that’s how it should be no? So you can pan the different drums toms left and right. But with the kick and snare centered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi🙂

I just downloaded the Wave of your link to import it into CbB for to see it with an analyser. Should be the same what you exported....

Bassman

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 9:27 PM, Marcello said:

Not sure what you mean with center the kick ? it's not panned left or right, it's in the center.

There was never said it was panned. I too agree - it's definitely wide. The width of the kick needs to be narrowed a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

Hi🙂

I just downloaded the Wave of your link to import it into CbB for to see it with an analyser. Should be the same what you exported....

Bassman

 

 

I posted in NI forum, very strange, might be the latency?  If no solution is provided by NI forum can I fix it by hand? I mean splitting the two stereo audios and just dragging a track afew millisecond so they match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...