Poser Pro: 3D Art + Animation Software for Windows & Mac

cclarry

18 hours ago, Pseudopop said:

In case you are as absent-minded as me, please note that you need to redeem your code within 30 days of purchase.

I was thinking about buying this to get some reference images of poses, but after reading some reviews I think I'll try the free Daz 3D instead: https://www.daz3d.com/

Daz 3D goes way back, and has combined their own Daz Studio, originally their own scene creator and alternative to Poser, with Bryce (Kai Krause), a fractal based 3D landscape modeler, and Cararra (now Daz 3D, but earlier from from Ray Dream and MetaCreations), a general purpose 3D modeler/animation package. From the beginning, a lot of the initial creative 3D software development from MetaCreations, Fractal Design, Ray Dream, and others such as Kai Krause together inspired much of this. On the shoulders of giants, as they say...

Even Corel acquired Painter from Fractal Design. All this happened mostly in the 90's and early 2000's.

14 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I have an old copy still.  I used to love this so much.  I would be very interested in fooling with this.... but there's only so much time in the day.

Yes, I agree. I explored a few 3D modeling and animation tools back in the day. Discovered that you would mostly be working in wireframe mode and then need decent 3D acceleration on a high-end PC to see a realistic 3D preview of what your fully rendered work would look like. Depending on your CPU back then, renders could take seemingly forever.

And there was the learning curve. Not for the faint of heart! You would need to be committed fully, and there is where the time in the day applies. If I had been at least 10 years younger at that time,  I might have been tempted to pursue a career in that field. But I already had a full time job. Still, it was, and still is fascinating... 🙂

• Like 1