WD 5 TB Portable Game Drive

cclarry

Nice one.  I have a 4TB drive currently for my Xbox One X but if I didn't have that I'd jump on this.  Onward to 8-10+ GB or just buy the new gen at the end of the year...  Though I'm mostly gaming on PC these days, but Xbox is really great, and the Play Anywhere stuff and Game Pass Ultimate make the "ecosystem" a pretty dang good one.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Nice one.  I have a 4TB drive currently for my Xbox One X but if I didn't have that I'd jump on this.  Onward to 8-10+ GB or just buy the new gen at the end of the year...  Though I'm mostly gaming on PC these days, but Xbox is really great, and the Play Anywhere stuff and Game Pass Ultimate make the "ecosystem" a pretty dang good one.

My younger brother is a HUGE gamer.  He has just about EVERY system ever made...STILL!
He has both X-Box One and PS4...he spends WAY to much time playing games for a man
who is almost 50!  LOL

32 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I'm mostly gaming on PC these days, but Xbox is really great

PC gaming was taking a backseat to the consoles there for a while. But the PC has hung in there and appears to be on the comeback trail as the premier gaming device.  

I had to make a choice long ago, gaming or music! I just couldn't do both. Well.... and not keep a job to support both habits hobbies!! LOL!

Edited by Grem
spelling of course!!
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Just wondering .. Whats the actual point of a drive like this vs any other USB3 drive?

Is it for running games directly off it OR data storage?

And if running software off it would it be a solution for Audio Software?

Games, just like Audio, require faster drives...i.e...7200 RPM or above.
USB 3 has helped throughput, so it's not as critical now, but faster drives
perform better for games, video, and audio

Edited by cclarry

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

Games, just like Audio, require faster drives...i.e...7200 RPM or above.
USB 3 has helped throughput, so it's not as critical now, but faster drives
perform better for games, video, and audio

Yip .. so I am wondering, rather than upgrading an existing drive in a laptop, how about buying one of these and move all audio data / CW files to it PLUS run CW from there along with all other audio software.

1 minute ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Yip .. so I am wondering, rather than upgrading an existing drive in a laptop, how about buying one of these and move all audio data / CW files to it PLUS run CW from there along with all other audio software.

I don't see a reason why there would be a problem.  Should work fine.
Internal is always preferable...but should still work ok.

• Like 1

I think the drive itself would be fast enough. The question would be is the interface it's hooked up to capable? IOW, is it true USB 3? Or is it one of the first gen USB 3? And do you have good cables? All things to consider.