First times with Cakewalk : where is audio editor section and many others...

Dimitri

Question

Hello!

i recently started to use Cakewalk to create a multitrack project ; really is the first time i am using a multitrack editor except an old version of Adobe Audition (3.0) that i have used so far just as single audio file editor , so to normalize, amplify,  denoise , high precision cutting - pasting,  fade in / out , apply compression/limiting,   and applying other effects.

For this reason ,   i still feel a little lost  with Cakewalk for many reasons, even though my target is to do everything i need soon with just the new d.a.w.  :  

1)  i can't find the editor section to find back all the accurate operations that i used to do so far to edit an audio file (mp3, wav...)  or clip files that need to be edited.

-  One of the things i am missing is also the advanced settings for (cross)fading curve to set not just  linear, slow and fast curve but others slopes just dragging the mouse. 

2)  in the precedent daw i have a dedicated little panel (detachable at the need) in which i could see at glance data counters about selection/view ,  and  particularly the duration (i choose H:m:s:frames ) in real time of the portion i am selecting.    In the multitrack view i can see something that can resemble it , in the ruler, but the font size is a little too small and also tends to be confused with the background color of the ruler.   It would need a customization.   I have also a big time clock window but  in cakewalk i can't change the format of time from M:T:B  to my main projects choice : H: m: s: f  .

3) in Audition i was able to move the cursor ( in Editor view)   also with the rows (left and right) on keyboard and to zoom in / out with the mouse wheel , is it possible to do such kind of things with the single wave editor section?

Regarding the multitrack view and the effects on a track :    why a customized setting (e.g. on a compressor)  that i add to list  while i am working in the track 1 , can't be reloaded for a next track ?   or better ,  if i save also overwriting  "no preset"  (that is the same a preset)  i can apply the precedent settings in other tracks but i can't find the precedent saved customized preset in the list.  That doesn't make sense.   Probably i didn't understand how to save a new preset permanently.

For now i don't have other questions.

Thanks for your patience.

Dimitri

Edited by Dimitri
corrections

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Dimitri said:

1)  i can't find the editor section to find back all the accurate operations that i used to do so far to edit an audio file (mp3, wav...)  or clip files that need to be edited.

If you're talking about dragging individual samples as nodes, Cakewalk does not provide that capability. You would need to link an audio editing program to the Utilities menu, allowing you to open the audio file in that app and destructively edit the file.

One of the things i am missing is also the advanced settings for (cross)fading curve to set not just  linear, slow and fast curve but others slopes just dragging the mouse. 

Cakewalk does not presently have any kind of free-form curve for fades other than inserting a bunch of nodes in a volume envleope, and tweaking them individually. 

in the precedent daw i have a dedicated little panel (detachable at the need) in which i could see at glance data counters about selection/view ,  and  particularly the duration (i choose H:m:s:frames ) in real time of the portion i am selecting. 

This information is available in different places in Cakewalk. Selection duration in SMPTE is displayed in the Export module. Now time in SMPTE can be shown in the transport module or in the time display at the top of the Tracks pane  (my preference) by left-clicking to cycle through M:B:T, SMPTE, H:M:S.mS, or Samples. You can also open the video view and float it to show SMPTE time in a window similar to Big Time.

3) in Audition i was able to move the cursor ( in Editor view)   also with the rows (left and right) on keyboard and to zoom in / out with the mouse wheel , is it possible to do such kind of things with the single wave editor section?

Ctrl+PgUp/Dn moves earlier or later by measures. Ctrl+mouse wheel scrolls the view, and Ctrl+Alt+mouse wheel zooms horizontally. See Options > Mouse Wheel Zoom Options to customize the behavior.

For nudging the Now time with the keyboard I think the CAL-based workaround is still necessary. See post #3 here, and post #23 in the linked thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Any-to-nudge-the-39now39-cursor-forward-and-back-one-frame-m2397628.aspx

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

You would need to link an audio editing program to the Utilities menu, allowing you to open the audio file in that app and destructively edit the file.

This in a certain sense is a problem :  i am using, as said,  the old Audition 3 however i don't have a  license for it, and it works well except for an issue: when you apply in real time an effect to the audio file if you stop while is in preview usually the daw crashes and you have to restore the session after the restart of software.   Probably registered users can access to  updates version where this issue has been fixed.

So,  i hoped that was included an audio editor section to stop to use that old software.  
 Just as information...  what is the editing suite software in Bandlab technologies family?

I really don't like a thing like Audacity, even though is free it is bad for what concerns usability and as graphical interface.    What i could try as good alternative to my editor , something free or almost, rather complete, for Windows 10?   Audition, just to have a reference of what I would like to , has a very good  set of effects combined with an excellent usability too.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Cakewalk does not presently have any kind of free-form curve for fades other than inserting a bunch of nodes in a volume envleope, and tweaking them individually.

And that feature of course was referred to the possible audio editor (not multitrack) section that now i know is missing in cakewalk.

Many thanks for all the rest of useful informations/ suggestions for my other questions.

19 hours ago, scook said:

Here is a recent thread about one free audio editor

About once a year, Humble Bundle sells a MAGIX bundle including SoundForge Pro (one version older than current) for ~$25

It is worth keep track of the deals subforum for the next time this comes up.

@scook 
Many thanks for your tips!  unfortunately one offer for SoundForge Pro is over even the last month for what i read on the website, but i'll try to follow the thing to know the next opportunity.
For the moment i'll try the Acon editor in the next days and i could try in any case a trial version of SoundForge to know it better ...

Dimitri

13 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Cakewalk has fast fade slow fade and liner fade modes. Move cursor to top end of audio clip. Be sure track control is set to edit clips. When your cursor turns to a triangle like a fade right click then  it will show all 3 modes of fades. 

@Max Arwood:  thanks, Yes, i saw and i am using those modes and i think that can be enough in an multitrack / clips scenario.  Instead , in an audio editor  i think that  more advanced settings , customizable curves, can add more flexibility.

Edited by Dimitri