Error message "unable to create audio folder."

peter.olsen3

Question

5 answers to this question

Running as administrator represents a special case of a general permissions violation issue. In general an application has the same privileges as the logged on user to access a folder. If as ordinary user Fred, you create a folder, then Fred will own the folder (and any new material added below that folder by inheritance) and can then access the folder with full permissions, and Fred can also grant permissions to others to read, write etc. to that location. If those permissions are not granted, then other users cannot access that folder or its subfolders. If Fred is logged in and opts to run an application as an administrator, then the application is no longer running under Fred's account, but under the administrator's account. It surprises people to learn that an administrator does not automatically have unchallenged access to all of the folders on the computer in recent versions of Windows. So if you were an application running as administrator you would be unable to write to or  create a subfolder under a folder that had been created/owned by Fred, unless Fred had set permissions for you to do so. It works the other way as well, so that if you created a folder while signed in to an administrator account (John), an application started by logged on user Fred would not be able to write to that folder. I am not saying that is your problem, but it explains why the problem often happens when running as administrator. Check to see what the permissions are for the folder under which you are trying to create the audio folder, and try changing access of that parent folder to full control by everyone unless you have a reason not to do so.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/set-file-folder-permissions-windows/

Edited by slartabartfast

I have the same problem when starting a new project by loading a project template. This after installing the latest BandLab CW onto a fresh Windows install on a new SSD. I can create an audio track by freezing a synth. But if I try to import audio I get an "Out of Memory" message.

However, after loading in a  previous project, I can record onto a track in that project file.

So, I went ahead and created a basic startup file from one that worked and saved normally. (cwp). I then tried to save as a template but I got a message saying that I don't have permission to save to the Project Template folder. In fact none of the project templates could record. Factory or my own custom ones.

My SOLUTION: I went through a whole hierarchy of folders to give permission to the Project Templates folder. When I finally did I was able to save my project template to that location was good to go. All templates allow for audio recording now. 

Hope this helps.