Spitfire Audio App updated to 3.1.7

cclarry

I think they are borked due to the BBC release.

The new issue of Sound On Sound is out today, cover article on Spitfire's BBC product. 

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/spitfire-audio-bbc-symphony-orchestra

It's an interesting read (subscription required).  Perhaps I was looking for reasons to not spend the crazy money on this, but it's not the super positive review I would have thought.  To be sure it is positive, but it points out a bunch of issues, chief among them their plugin just isn't that good UI-wise (see quote below).  I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing myself it is worth getting.  The disc space cost alone is almost enough to punt it.

A few parting words about the GUI: I'm not a fan of cryptic symbols being used as a substitute for text, and in this case the problem is compounded by these tiny, faint symbols being placed on a black background, so even when the GUI is scaled to maximum size, you can barely see some of them. I also quickly got tired of hovering my mouse over icons in order to highlight otherwise invisible text. I'm afraid this seems like putting a minimal design ethos over musical functionality — a case of less is less.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I think they are borked due to the BBC release.

The new issue of Sound On Sound is out today, cover article on Spitfire's BBC product. 

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/spitfire-audio-bbc-symphony-orchestra

It's an interesting read (subscription required).  Perhaps I was looking for reasons to not spend the crazy money on this, but it's not the super positive review I would have thought.  To be sure it is positive, but it points out a bunch of issues, chief among them their plugin just isn't that good UI-wise (see quote below).  I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing myself it is worth getting.  The disc space cost alone is almost enough to punt it.

My Spitfire BBC SO SSD seems to be in customs limbo in Chicago so I doubt I will get a chance to look at this any time soon. The entry price is indeed a big obstacle and for myself would not be possible except for the amazing generosity of a dear friend.

i agree about the interface as well. It seems they are continuing to use the LABS GUI approach with its own language and seeming massive waste of space. Just watching the videos and such it just seems like the GUI is not that intuitive but I will reserve my final judgement until I get an actual look at it first hand.

The other issue is having to run so many individual instances of the plugin as it seems a hit on resources, especially with potentially so many but again we shall see. The Spitfire core user base seems to be heavy in the use of Logic as their DAW of choice. They recently put together a massive template and I have yet to see what the final track count and memory resources were used so that would be interesting to follow up on.

i am hoping to do some videos when I receive everything and will be able to answer more questions that are out there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mettelus said:

LOL... this is why I don't pounce on updates too often.  My app is just saying, "Something went wrong. The JSON response was invalid." The only option is to simply exit the app. I will hold off on this till the next monthly freebie drops.

That's the same message I received.  I closed and relaunched and then got the 
screen where everything installed should have shown, but it showed nothing.
So I went to "settings" and selected "refresh" and then all was fine...