2024.02 build seems having issues with take lanes. Is there a way to revert to previous version?

Posted (edited)

Installed is 2024.02 (Build 098)

One of my favorite features in Cakewalk, "take lanes" seems to have some sort of bug that I didn't experience since Noel fixed it around 2018...

In record options I have: Mode: Sound On Sound.,     Take Behavior: Create New Lane with New Takes on Top checked.

Sometimes "take" recordings works like it should/did for years, some takes are merged to muted lane on the bottom. Very inconsistent.  I have no desire to troubleshoot this as likely 2024.02 might be the last version. Is it possible to revert to previous version, so I don't get stuck with final version that has a major issue (for me) or this is the end of the road? 

Thank you.

Edited by Misha

• Misha changed the title to 2024.02 build seems having issues with take lanes. Is there a way to revert to previous version?

No. this was made pretty clear that this is the last version and it is what it is.  I actually doubt that you issue would be related to the latest release. It must be something else. Any bugs are now only fixed in Sonar. CbB is no longer supported. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

John,

thanks.  So there's no way to revert to previous build?

"It must be something else."

With rec settings: >Mode: Sound On Sound.,     Take Behavior: Create New Lane with New Takes on Top "checked". And only the parent track armed, it should not place new take lanes on muted lanes at the bottom.

Last time that was doing that was under Gibson, until BL took over and Noel fixed it in the first couple of months. It also seems it's inconsistent. Sometimes it would create a new "take lane on top", sometimes merge to muted.  So just by observing this behavior it's a bug in my book. I am hoping I can go back to previous build, so at least for sometime there would be a working copy on my computer until they sort out the things with Sonar licensing. 

Edited by Misha
  • Like 1

If it was possible to revert, that version would not be able to be activated, therefore useless. They changed the activation servers such that when the old CbB phones home to get activated, that number is "no longer in service or has been changed".

• Like 1

57Gregy,

Thanks for clarification. I've done some digging and it seems happening with a generic (factory) "4 Track template", which I use rarely, but is (was) a quick way to do sketches. I've used my custom template that I used for 3+ years and it seems issue of Take Lanes merging is not present when using it.  

Another strange thing was... It was merging everything to Take lane #1, so for testing purposes I deleted that lane (with content). Well, on the next rec take it created Take lane #1 and placed it on the top. Ohh well. 

My guess, BL will keep Cakewalk alive for at least several months, after the BIG announcement. If perpetual licenses will be offered - smooth ride, previous and current Cake projects are opening fine in new Sonar and it doesn't have this merge issue.  If  Sonar will be  subscription only, it should give me enough time to finish a few projects that I've started already and move on.

I will not investigate deeper as I found a workaround (using my template), but will not mark this as resolved as the issue is present.

c.jpg

• Like 1

Me too, I like the take lane concept of Sonar/CbB!

But some days ago I found another bug: If you enable several takes at the same time position (e.g. to create a double), then the merged audio is displayed in the track as it should. But as soon as you close the lanes it only shows the output of one single lane!

Though I identified this bug recently, I found out that it was already present in Sonar Platinum! In the last years the Bakers have surely sorted out a couple of bugs in take lanes, regrettably some are still left.

7 hours ago, Misha said:

I've done some digging and it seems happening with a generic (factory) "4 Track template", which I use rarely, but is (was) a quick way to do sketches. I've used my custom template that I used for 3+ years and it seems issue of Take Lanes merging is not present when using it.  

Another strange thing was... It was merging everything to Take lane #1, so for testing purposes I deleted that lane (with content). Well, on the next rec take it created Take lane #1 and placed it on the top. Ohh well. 

I have occasionally had a particular track in a project get 'out of whack' in this way after making several recordings and undoing/redoing/deleting some takes. I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events that can cause this, but it seems the lane-indexing can get mixed up over time and only deleting all lanes will restore the normal take ordering and numbering behavior.

11 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

If it was possible to revert, that version would not be able to be activated, therefore useless. They changed the activation servers such that when the old CbB phones home to get activated, that number is "no longer in service or has been changed".

Actually, I just reactivated an old version on an old computer. Prob a couple years old at least. No problem.

I was surprised, but it did it without a hiccup.

Just happened a few days ago. Go figure 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Scott C. Stahl said:

Actually, I just reactivated an old version on an old computer. Prob a couple years old at least. No problem.

I was surprised, but it did it without a hiccup.

Just happened a few days ago. Go figure 🤷‍♂️

Which version?

I don't think it's a bug, per se, but rather a questionable design choice that the composite of all clips in the parent track is only shown when lanes are showing. MIDI tracks work the same way. I've brought it up with the Bakers a number of times over the years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

I don't think it's a bug, per se, but rather a questionable design choice that the composite of all clips in the parent track is only shown when lanes are showing.

David, I think there's a some kind of bug with that 4track "factory" template, I have no issues when I use the one I that mainly use. Expanded or not, my custom template works exactly how Record options are set. No surprises.