Audio Not Opening with 'Save As' Projects

Stephen Power

Question

I've got projects that include midi and audio tracks. If I 'save as' and give them a different name, they are not opening with the audio files in place.

Cakewalk says it can't find the audio and eventually (after a lot of 'skipping files', it opens with the audio clips flat (no audio).

Very frustrating as I can only open auto-saved projects (with original name). Not ones with new name.

Can you tell me what happening and how to 'save as' with a new name and in another directory without losing the audio.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Stephen Power

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Check the box to copy audio with project. 

Hi John, yes the box is checked. I have been saving as for many many years this way with no issues. This issue is pretty recent or that I only recently discovered it when opening a save as version I saved on an external drive. I am on latest Cbb not sonar. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, treesha said:

Hi John, yes the box is checked. I have been saving as for many many years this way with no issues. This issue is pretty recent or that I only recently discovered it when opening a save as version I saved on an external drive. I am on latest Cbb not sonar. 

The same for me. The box about copying audio is definitely checked - and is always checked.

The weird thing was that my projects wanted to open in the new (un-saveable) Sonar this morning, and I had to do a 'open with' (CbB) to get back to it.

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with 'auto save' and/or the number of versions that can/should be saved. Any helpful suggestions welcome.

Edited by Stephen Power
  • Like 1

I was trying to make it happen today, but it’s working properly. The dialog would start looking on c drive, but the project was external, and eventually get to the external drive then look in the project folder in its audio folder, so in the right place. This is a save as with an added date in the project name on an external drive.  Once I let it search for the file and when it was found, then the project opened ok. Another time it asked if I wanted this file even though it had a different name (which looked the same to me), I said yes and it opened ok. I will experiment and see what I notice. I believe this also occurred if I copy a project folder including audio to an external drive. 

• Like 1

Seems weird for sure. 

What I would do is next time you perform a "SAVE AS" open the audio folder of the SAVE AS version and confirm the audio did get copied. 

Also as you are saving watch the Progress bar to see if it moves at a normal speed. For me when I perform SAVE AS and there's a few audio tracks involved it takes around 5 to 10 seconds to progress and finish.  If it goes in a flash that tells me something didn't happen. Same with Exporting. This is showing you the audio is being copied and the speed depends on where it's being copied to. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2