What's the word...

1 hour ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Yes, when the first one breaks down on the way to the cemetery.

True story:

My Mom was in a serious car accident in 1958 and, when they needed to transport her and a cousin from one hospital to another and didn't have any ambulances available, they used a hearse!  They had some fun raising and lowering their legs while wiggling their toes in front of the back window whenever a car pulled up behind them. 😁

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2024 at 8:06 AM, Grem said:

Yep, that crowd was expecting what happened. It wasn't a spontaneous event, which is what I thought was happening.

I'm sure they knew it was coming, as he's been doing this for years. It's kind of his thing. I first saw him do it at a TED Talk. 

This is a demonstration of the "wisdom of crowds", the tendency to hit the mark in the aggregate even though any one individual might be wildly off the mark. Penn & Teller demonstrate this in some of their performances. They display a jar of jelly beans on stage before the show, and audience members are invited to write down their guesses for how many jelly beans there are and drop their guesses into a box. During the show all of the guesses are totaled and averaged, and the results are revealed at the end of the show. To everyone's amazement, the audience in aggregate accurately guessed the number of jelly beans with < 0.3% error.

So when recording your own vocals, you don't need Melodyne, just keep layering overdubs!

• Haha 1

I don't want to sound like I was dissing  Collier's performance, I still found it very moving. I just pointed out that I was under the impression it was spontaneous. I am also sure that there were a few audience members that weren't expecting it. Still, it was a very moving performance.

55 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

To everyone's amazement, the audience in aggregate accurately guessed the number of jelly beans with < 0.3% error.

That was something else I did not know!! Very interesting.

Wonder how that happens? Chance? Statistically inevitable?  Or is it a melding of the spirituality of all involved?      

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Penn & Teller demonstrate this in some of their performances. They display a jar of jelly beans on stage before the show, and audience members are invited to write down their guesses for how many jelly beans there are and drop their guesses into a box. During the show all of the guesses are totaled and averaged, and the results are revealed at the end of the show. To everyone's amazement, the audience in aggregate accurately guessed the number of jelly beans with < 0.3% error.

If I ever see a Penn & Teller show and they do this, I'll be sure to submit 42,000,000,000,000 as my guess just to mess things up! 😁